Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 26, 2005, 10:04 AM   #1

...or just tilt your monitor on its left side...

Q: How discombobulating can a panoramic view be?

A: Completely.

This is a 180 degree view, main gallery to left and right (ok, top and bottom), with a side gallery straight in front of you. Taken from a semi-circular extension, a kind of "scenic overlook," that is cantilevered into the air space above the ground floor.

Adding to the visual confusion is the fact that there are two bridges between the upper walkways just to the left and to the right of the center. The upper walkways are like two extended balconies outside the shop fronts on the second level with crossover bridges every 100 yards or so.

It was an experiment to see if a home-made pano head is working. It's OK,not perfect, but I'm not a perfectionist and it's a heck of a lot better than hand-held.

Attached Images

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 10:12 AM   #2

Forgot the photo specs:

8 shots, vertical (portrait) orientation, manual setting, 0.6x Retinar wide angle lens converter, prime lens at full wide angle. All wereISO 100, f/4.8 1/6 second, auto white balance. Post-processed to remove barrel distortion, then panorama wasdone automatically by Autostitch.
Old May 26, 2005, 10:54 AM   #3

That's one cool pic,DG..I saved it,rotated and then zoomed in abit..nice lines!Great effect!
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:15 AM   #4

Great shots and good stitching. Did hurt my neck a little though!! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:26 AM   #5

Thanks Lisa & Dawg.

Made a discovery - Autostitch handles all but a residual amount of barrel distortion. I re-ran the stitching using the original files -- the photos without barrel distortion removal. You'll seemuch smoother lines along the ceiling and the railing at the bottom center. I did lose a bit of width.

Attached Images

Old May 26, 2005, 11:53 AM   #6

That is a very cool picture. Now I know what to do with my wide angel lens. Just need to get the software and find a mall like that and I'll be all set.
Steve
syoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 12:19 PM   #7

Good work DG,I like everything about it!! the angles are fantastic,the only pano`s I`ve done so far are landscapes,I`ll have to try an indoor one soon,except I don`t have a mall .I`ve been out panoraming today,will post it soon

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 1:08 PM   #8

tommysdad wrote:
Quote:
the only pano`s I`ve done so far are landscapes,I`ll have to try an indoor one soon,except I don`t have a mall .
Yes, well, malls are the only subject we can photograph right now, as we don't have an outdoors. We're into our 12th straight day of overcast or rain (all 12 overcast, but only 10 with 24-hours ofrain), with4 more forecast. Last two days featured the lowest daytime temperatures recorded since the last ice age... no, actually, since 1872.

Anyone with an outdoors that is in reasonable working order should probably be photographing there...
Old May 26, 2005, 1:34 PM   #9

very cool, DG. Curious though...where are the people? You didnt pull the fire alarm, I hope:-)

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 2:14 PM   #10

dan279 wrote:
Quote:
very cool, DG. Curious though...where are the people? You didnt pull the fire alarm, I hope:-)

Dan

This was 7:00 a.m., 3 hours before anything opened. Still, there were at least 50 mall-walkers doing their rounds.

I didn't notice until I got home that there is almost nobody recorded here, though 2 couples passed behind me as I was swiveling the camera and taking snaps. I think they're hidden behind the plant to the right.

There is a man, back to us, along the left gallery in the distance, just a black shape in the small versions posted here. What looks like a person straight ahead of the escalators in the centeris just a poster for a movie.