Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:54 AM   #1

Hello all,

I was reading some info about digital cameras, etc., and the word diopter was used. I don't know exactly in which subject anymore... have been reading alot.

What is a diopter or what's it used for??

Thanks,
bedde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:10 PM   #2

The diopter adjustment (a dial or, sometimes, a lever) adjusts the viewfinder for less than perfect eyesight so that one may use the viewfinder without wearing glasses. I do not believe that it works in all cases, say astigmatism or extreme short range vision problems.

It may be found with both optical and electronic viewfinders - I have one of each. If you do not need glasses, then read no further.

If you do wear glasses go to any large camera store and ask to look at cameras with that adjustment - the Kodak DX7440 is an example of one with an optical optical viewfinder, the Canon Optura 100 is a mini DVcam is an example with the EVF.

The diopter adjustment is very useful to me but I think that's a personal thing and am not sure that I would let it over ride other wanted features.
jdm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 2:44 AM   #3

Bedde, The DX6490 has one on the left side of the electronic viewfinder. I have really bad cateracts and am almost blind in my left eye and about 40 percent blind in my right eye. the diopter helps me to get a clearer view of what I'm looking at. With out it I would probably shoot my foot a lot more than I do right now. If you wear glasses try looking through the view finder and turn the knob or dial until the picture it provides clears up. If you don't wear glasses try it any way as it may be out of adjustment for you as it came from the factory. Mine was but I had to have it to fit my eyesite.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:06 AM   #4

I alsonow know what a diopter is. Good info. Jdm124 and Dawg.
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:12 AM   #5

Thanks Jdm124 and Dawg.

I always wondered what that thing was on the side of the view finder. Guess I should have read the manual better....

Thanks again guys....

bedde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:24 AM   #6

Your very welcome Bedde. Never be afraid to ask questions here. Help is only a click away!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote