Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 8, 2005, 8:50 PM   #1

Well it finally arrived and I haven't really played too much yet..still cloudy and rainy.But I do have a couple questions from you seasoned veterans of all thing Tcon...Do you just get the full 1.7 conversion at full zoom?...digital or optical?Can I protect the lens with anything besides common sense? When you use it..is a tripod necessary..as I would think shake could be a factor?(ok..ok..I said a couple questions but I think I have more..lol)..that asked..I have to say...geez it's a lot larger than I imagined..and does look pretty sweet..
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:43 PM   #2

Congrats on the TCON, Lisa. Yes, it is pretty well locked in at 1.7 at full optical zoom. You can come off of full zoom a little but you will get vignetting if you go too far. vignetting is shadowing around the edges, although if you are using the TCON, being at full wide angle can give a tunnel vision effect wich can be interesting. I would stay away from digital zoom as you can achieve the same thing in post processing with the crop feature. A tripod is pretty much a necessity if you are going to get serious with the TCON. I'm lucky in that I can hold the camera pretty steady yet without a tripod. The lens cap that comes with the TCON will protect it although it could be knocked off if your not careful. Don't forget to get filters that are threaded on the outside and you can sandwich your polarizer in between the adapter and TCON....wow, I think that is the most I ever typed, LOL.

Bob

p.s. enjoy the lens and post some pics.
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:43 AM   #3

Thanks Bob! I hope you're not tired out from all the advice giving..lol.Thats good info you passed along..I'll know what to expect now.Once that big shiny thing in the sky decides to show itself again I'll be out practicing..I'll try freehand and with the monopod I picked up..I got the some birds here that need their photos taken..so they will be my subjects for awhile.And if I get anything halfway decent I'll share.Thanks again
lisa
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:09 AM   #4

If you don't have a tripod I'd recomend getting one Lisa. I'm pretty big and still have some trouble with the TCON shaking every now and then. And if you get a tripod get a good stout one or the camera and lens combo will try to pull it down, plus the wind will try to tip it over. Also remember, post processing can remove quite a bit of vignetting from the photo. Have a lot of fun and like Tonto said post some pics!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:53 AM   #5

Congrats Kashka, I've seen lots of nice pictures taken with that tcon lens from the 6490 users here in this forum, Hope to see your pictures soon.
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 2:03 PM   #6

Thats great Lisa, glad you got it...I know your'e gonna have fun with it:-)

I laid out a couple hints for fathers day...nah they weren't hints, I emailed the boys and said if you dont know what to buy me get me this and gave them the link to it:-)Hmmm, maybe I shoulda told them when fathers day is

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:23 PM   #7

Hahaha,Dan.you want me to email them and make sure they got the hint??..(oops..big sister mode kicked in there for a sec):lol:
lisa
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:40 AM   #8

Congradulation on your TCon Lisa,but I have to ask is it still cloudy where you are,or have I over-looked your pictures with the new lens :?

Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:42 PM   #9

Thanks Smiles!..it actually quit raining yesterday..14 days and it's finally over(now what am I gonna do with half an ark??)...and I haven't really tried it out yet..but am chomping at the bit to do so.This weekend hopefully(even bought a tripod)..so you didn't miss any pics..but thanks for asking:-)
lisa