Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:51 PM   #1

Hi all, I am using the DX-7590 and have two events coming up one is a smash-up derby and the other is a concert..
1st, the derby will be outside but in bright baseball park style lighting.
2nd, the concert will be outside as well (Pat Benatar % Foghat) with minimal lighting except for the stage lighting itself.
Both events are at night.
If anyone could help with how I might best take these shots it would be greatly appreciated. If this helps, I will about 30 yards shooting distance in both events.
Thanks so much for the help.
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:49 PM   #2

Hi Wag, good to see you back here.Bob took some nice night shots maybe he can help you. We'll keep it kicked up til someone does

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:21 PM   #3

tnx Dan will do
Old Jun 16, 2005, 7:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dan.

OK Wag, here goes. In manual mode i would set your aperture to its lowest number that you can, that will open it to its biggest. then if you point your camera at the area where the action is you can push your shutter halfway and focus the camera. Watch the EV numbers on the lower right side of the LCD or viewfinder, wichever you are using and then access your shutter speed and as you turn the shutter speed up and down you will see the EV numbers change. this acts as a light meter, when the numbers get to 0.0 you should be in focus. Also set your ISO to at least 200. you can take your shot when the EV is at +0.3 this will also lighten the pic although it might look slightly washed out.Your worst problem will be to hold the camera steady as you will be using a fairly slow shutter speed. This is where a monopod or tripod comes in handy. This is what i have been doing and it works pretty well, just practice before you go and you should be alright.

Have fun at the events Wag, and I hope this helped.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:11 AM   #5

Tnx Bob, and yup its gonna help alot just gotta copy this text and print it out...thanks again Bob....hey what happened to our white font ? anybody know ?
Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:21 AM   #6

Spot focus might help the focus time too Wagaboo. That way the camera should find it's focus sooner. And I was wondering what happened to the white background that is usually there in the reply box. That background is usually white for me and I type the reply in black. Then when it posts it is a black background with white text. Where did it goooooooo???????????? See you when I get back from North Carolina. I wasn't going to post tonight but couldn't resist. This forum can be addictive.

adict Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 3:54 AM   #7

The problem with night-time photography is if the subject is moving, then all of the bracing and tricks will be in vain.

You should be ok at the first event with an increased ISO, try out ISO400 in "P" mode beforehand.
The second is a bit more challenging, I think I would get an external flashgun for this (if they allow it at the venue)
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:48 AM   #8

And if in P mode, don't forget to switch of the flash- it won't reach the object anyway, but will "tell" the camera to use faster shutter (mostly 1/90). The result- a dark image. The metering mode should be judged as well. May be You can try Central weighted.
Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:14 PM   #9

Thanks guyz for the help and I have printed out all suggestions and will use them...once again thanks alot for the input all
Old Jun 25, 2005, 1:04 AM   #10

You should be Ok at the derby, there should be enough light but you still may need a tripod. Concert photos are another matter though and are very difficult to shoot. You really need a DSLR for concert photos because of the low light. If you use a longer shutter speed, subjects rarely stand still on stage and you'll get blur and of course you'l need a tripod which is out of the question at a concert. You can also use the night portrait mode with a slow sync flash. Basically this mode is a 1 sec or longer exposure with the flash going off. You can get pretty cool effects when doing this, usually the effect of motion as the subject will be blurred if theres any movement. Of course you will have to be within flash range atleast the first 5 rows or so. You can try bumping up the ISO but things can get noisy quick.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote