Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 18, 2005, 1:34 AM   #1
Pyg

Hey all,

I've seen old posts about people upgrading their DX7590 cameras with the new firmware which fixes low light focusing among other things.

Has anyone used this firmware upgrade on the Z7590?

It looks to me like these are the exact same cameras except that the DX7590 comes with a docking station (is this statement correct?). I purchased the Z7590 because I can't fit the docking station in my suitcase each week.
Pyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2005, 4:47 AM   #2

Hey Pyg sorry I can't answer your question. But since you have the z7590 I was wondering how you liked your camera? Because I'm kinda(don't have alot of extra$$$)looking to upgrade from my CX7530 which takes great pictures but doesn't have alot of extras tomess with.The 7590's have alot more optical zoom 10x compared to my camera 3x opt. zoom. But I am also wondering which one to really look into dx7590 or z7590. I was thinking maybe your z7590 might have already come with the firmware upgrade since its alot newer? Are you having alot of low light problems? I also was thinking about the z740 which has 10x optical zoom but smaller than the 7590's. I've read alot of bad reviews on the z740, but when I played with it at omax today it seemed like it took good pictures? Anyways that way off your subject. So I'm also wondering the differences in the dx7590 and the z7590. And last thing were those pics of the planes in the boneyard taken with the z7590?
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 8:59 AM   #3

Found this link on the z7590: http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/First-Impressions-Kodak-EasyShare-Z7590.htm

Looks like a review of the camera before it came out, but has info on what it does and how it differs from other 7590's

Steve
syoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:53 AM   #4
Pyg

MrBlue wrote:
Quote:
Hey Pyg sorry I can't answer your question. But since you have the z7590 I was wondering how you liked your camera? Because I'm kinda(don't have alot of extra$$$)looking to upgrade from my CX7530 which takes great pictures but doesn't have alot of extras tomess with.The 7590's have alot more optical zoom 10x compared to my camera 3x opt. zoom. But I am also wondering which one to really look into dx7590 or z7590. I was thinking maybe your z7590 might have already come with the firmware upgrade since its alot newer? Are you having alot of low light problems? I also was thinking about the z740 which has 10x optical zoom but smaller than the 7590's. I've read alot of bad reviews on the z740, but when I played with it at omax today it seemed like it took good pictures? Anyways that way off your subject. So I'm also wondering the differences in the dx7590 and the z7590. And last thing were those pics of the planes in the boneyard taken with the z7590?

I love the camera itself but I do seem to have low light issues. However, since I'm a newbie I can't say for sure that it's not operator error. I've been researching low light issues on this forum and I've found a few things that I'm going to try.

When I purchased this camera I stepped up from an old Sony Mavica with floppy disk storage to the Z7590. At the time my only interest was getting a camera with a good optical zoom (the Sony was 10x Optical too) since I take a lot of indoor pictures and use the zoom. I never had any blurring problems with the old Sony but I do have them with the Z7590. Once again this could be operator error.

I took a hard look at the DX7590 but then discovered the Z7590. I compared them both and the only difference I could find between the cameras is that the DX7590 came with the docking station. I decided that I did not want the docking station because I didn't want something else sitting on my desk.

The Boneyard pictures were taken with the Z7590. A lot of the pictures I took that day were zoomed in 10x and they turned out great. It seems that my issue is with indoor pictures.

I checked the firmware version in my camera and it's 1.000. Which is why I was wondering if the DX firmware would work with the Z7590.

I purchased my Z7590 from http://www.newegg.com for $344.00. Newegg has the best customer service I've ever seen and really good prices.

Here is a picture of my wife's brat that I took yesterday I think it turned out pretty good...

Oh yeah... the live histogram was a pleasant surprise. It's an awesome feature, I love that thing!

Pyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 5:27 PM   #5

Hi Pyg, after reading a review of the z7590 I don't see much differences other than histogram and Pictbridge ( both nice features).I checked Kodaks site and they dont list an upgrade for the Z. I'd be very reluctant to try it, as they may have included it in the original firmware. I would hope they would since they knew of the problem before this model came out.Try emailing them and see what they say. OK now even after the upgrade on my dx7590 lowlight leaves a lot to be desired in auto mode. Manual mode will make a big difference for you. I and many others have added external flashes and am very pleased with the results. You mentioned blurring...usually results from camera movement and is more noticeable the more you zoom. Using a tripod is a pain but it works well for special portraits or such. Or using anything nearby to lean against as a brace. Sorry to ramble here hope it helps.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:55 AM   #6

Thanx for the reply Pyg, I think most cameras in auto mode do not give you the best picture for low light situations. I am in no hurry so I'll just take my time before diving in. At least your day time pics are awsome. Hopefully you can resolve your low light problems. Also thanx Syoggy for your link.
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote