Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:26 PM   #1

Hi all,

I've got a story to tell about something that happened today, bear with me. There is a guy I work with named Howard, anfd he was a Recon Marine in Vietnam. I happened to introduce my Son to him the other day when he first came home on leave. Today I got to work and Howard came up to me and handed me 3 items that he said to give to my Son as good luck charms for his tour of duty in Iraq. The story behind these items is what's interesting.

That bit of rusted wire is the pin out of the 1st grenade that Howard ever threw in combat in 1968. It was a night fire fight and he said he pulled the pin, tossed the grenade and heard it hit a tree and it bounced back to him and landed by him and a buddy...it was a dud. I won't repeat here on the forum what he told me he said when it landed.

The coin is a 1922 silver dollar that was given to Howards Dad by his Dad to commemorate the year of his birth. Howards Dad carried that coin thru the Pacific theatre in WW11 and thru Korea. He gave it to Howard when he went to Vietnam and he carried it thru every battle he was in.

The Arrowhead was found by Howard when he was a teen. His Great Grandfather was Indian and at the time he died, they wouldn't allow him to be buried in a Cemetary, so he was buried in a Apple Orchard. Howard found the Arrowhead in the approximate location of the grave, and he carried that thru Vietnam.

The pieces have such a history, that I was deeply moved by the generosity. My Son comes back tomorrow from his Honeymoon, and I can't wait to give them to him.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and view the pic.
Attached Images

Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:57 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing the picture and story. Howard must think a great deal of you and your son to give upthese items. I imagine he treasured them and felt protected while carryingthem. I pray they provide your son with the same protection so he my return safely.

Sincerely,

Herschel
Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:04 PM   #3

Wow Bob, What a story, It's like a story right out of a movie. Bob I'm stuck for words. You just never know the good people that are around you. I believe the luck will be with your son and he will be back with ussafe andin good healthbefore you know it.
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:19 AM   #4

WOW thats a story !!! I'm stuck for words That man deserves a great deal of respect for passing these on and Bob's the one who I know will ! wow Bob simply awesome: cool:
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:03 AM   #5

I can't say much more than what has already been said. Wonderful story. Especially in these times. My prayers and good wishes go with your son.

Robert
gpz2zrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 6:09 AM   #6

What a wonderful gesture!..with totem like that,your son will have the gods behind all the way...

kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 6:10 AM   #7

behind "him'..(only two sips of coffee so far this morn.):sleep:
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 3:38 PM   #8

Bob, it doesn't matter what we do in this life, what matters is how we treat the good people we meet along the way. Howard is a good example, he's not worried about his items because he knows your son will return safely with them.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:15 AM   #9

Thanks for all the comments guys, I was staggered by his gesture and so was my Son. Something like this restores a persons faith in humanity.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 12:53 AM   #10

Wow thats some amazing stuff, I really appreciate what that man and your son have done for our country
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote