Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:05 PM   #1

Do any of you 6490 owners experience your camera going into sleep mode after 20-30 seconds of inactivity? Mine is doing this and it is driving me nuts, when I first got it, it would stay on for 10 minutes or so without any activity.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:42 PM   #2

It's supposed to Bob, after about 30 seconds or so. Push any button and it will wake up.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 7:42 PM   #3

Thanks Dawg. It wakes right up, but until recently it stayed on most of 10 minutes.

Bob
Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:20 PM   #4

After about 600 photos mine started to do it too. I find that if I leave mine on but unused for 10 minutes or so sometimes I have to turn it off and then back on. Don't know why and it can be agravating at times.

Dawg
Old Oct 9, 2005, 4:40 PM   #5

Has anyone tried reporting this as a fault to kodak?
Could be a excuse for a new firmware update for the 6490, and they could add some of the wishlist extra's in at the same time maybe to keep everyone happy
kensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:12 PM   #6

I'm gonna leave sleeping dawgs lie. I gave up on a firmware update a long time ago and learned to appreciate my camera the way it is! If I want to update I'll do it with the P850 in a year or so when the price starts to fall!!

Dawg
Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:34 PM   #7
A3D

My 6490 dozes off after 30 seconds or so, too, but I never have left it on for any where near as long as 10 minutes.

I understand why you might want to leave it on if you are at a sports event or whenever you think it might take too long to power up and get the shot, but it could have to do with battery drain and recovery. Just a thought.

Big Dawg says this happens to him after 600 or so shots which indicates he has a big memory card, but also that his battery is being drained as is yours whether or not you are taking shots. Give a full charge to your Li_Ion (1700 mAH) and try to duplicate the 10 minute senario. If it happens again, the you might assume that this is a legitimate limitation of the 6490. Other possibilites might include taking enough photos to approach the limits of your memory card and then leaving it on for 10 minutes or so without any activity and measuring how long it takes to "wake" it up.

Beyond the above, you might consider further research into the firmware (good luck!) of the camera or Googling some Kodak groups. Depends on how curious you really are!

I would recommend not leaving the 6490 active for 10 minutes without actually taking photos. My experience is that you have to learn to allow for the 4 to 5 second power up time to get the shot. I have missed some due to the slowness on this Kodak model and you may have to learn to live with it, too. I know it looks like a DSLR and Kodak classifies it as a "high-zoom", but it really a higher end point-and-shoot camera.

Like Big Dawg, I've "learned to appreciate my camera the way it is!"

A3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:11 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply A3D. I've learned to live with it. It is a minor irritant though.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Bob
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:08 AM   #9
A3D

Yeah, Bob, it irritates me, too. Like I said, it MIGHT be a legitmate limitation of the DX6490, but now you got me thinking...ouch, that hurts!

What if it could be corrected by a firmware revision? When I go to my son's football games, I wish my 6490 would be ready to shoot faster, but I don't know if it is something a firmware revision can correct or if it is a function of the Li-Ion battery's power curve in the camera. Huh? Just means I don't know...

If I find out anything about this issue, I will post it here.

Letting sleeping dogs lie can save you a lot of grief, but waking them up can be more interesting...oh, yeah!

A3D
A3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 4:06 PM   #10

My 7590 is no better...goes to sleep after 60 seconds. After 8 minutes of no activity, it SHUTS DOWN ! According to Kodak thats how it was designed to save battery life. I've gotten in the habit of hitting the shutter halfway every couple minutes when there may be a quick opportunity for a shot.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote