Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:36 PM   #11

Or add a fog or diffusion filter to the lens. Almost all filter makers sell them. Some are even called Vaseline, fog, dream and are either full lens or graduated for those times when settings just aren't working!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:41 PM   #12

Thanks Dawg.

I wouldn't have posted them if I didn't want anyone to try something out. I like what you did to the 1st pic. Will have to try some of that myself to see if I can get the effect I want. I will post if I succeed.
Steve
syoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:44 PM   #13

You're welcome and thanks for the use of the photo. I do not like to post someone elses pics unless they are alright with it. Hope this might of helped.

Dawg

Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:59 PM   #14

It got me thinking. So here's what I came up with.... I didn't have a fog filter in PS7 so I used a filter called diffuse glow. Gives it an interesting look.
Steve
Attached Images

syoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 4:03 PM   #15

This is the effect I got using the above shutter method and actually used the night time mode just to try and this is the result I got but I found it worked best in a shaded area...just my 2 cents

TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 4:13 PM   #16

You can also try the median filter, found under the noise filters, or a gausian Blur, found with the blur filters. That is an interesting effect, and as with any photo it all depends on what YOU would like to happen to it. I find that if there is too much noise then it detracts from the photo as it doesn't look as realistic, but then someone else might think it looks like a really nice landscape painting. Sometimes I feel that way too and in that last photo I kinda like it. If you would like a few more filters you can go here :
http://www.theimagingfactory.com/ and find some that are plugins for Photoshop and will work with paintshop also I believe. You can download them and try them for thirty days or purchase them.

Dawg
Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:46 PM   #17

I`ve tried to shoot waterfalls with a longer exposure 1/2 sec to a second ,only come out with an over exposed shot,would lowering the EV value help any?..Maybe I need to buy me some more filters.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

TD

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:44 PM   #18

I haven't had any luck shooting moving water either. Like you TD it gets overexposed. I'll bet lowering the EV would help though, I never thought to try.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:27 PM   #19

I believe what you are looking for is an ND (nuetral density) filter.¬* It will give the water in your pic the¬*"foggy look".¬* You can find a great example in msnbc's pictures of the year, the one with the monks in orange robes standing on the¬* falls.¬* B + W 1.8 #106 ¬*filter is what I am looking at.¬* It reduces the light by 6 stops. Without changing the f stop a shutter of 1/60 is changed a full second, you will need a tripod, filter facotr is 64.¬* Check out the B + W handbood at schneideroptics.com
robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:31 PM   #20

Also a slower shutter speed wil make the water have tha soft look to it!

Dawg