Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:30 PM   #1

I took these yesterday ,It was probably the best weather we`ve had this year.

DX 6490 Manual,

It took me a while to get close to this young`un,around 5 mins of small steps,while talkin to him,

eventually I was able to scratch him behiend his ear. no zoom

I`ve found the best way to capture animals of any kind ,is to get down low.

Hoad Monument ,this is high up on a hill overlooking the town of Ulverston,only accessable by single track lanes (very steep),It made me wonder how they got the materials up there to build it!!

Last pic CX7530,Lifeboat station overlooking Morcambe Bay,The R.N.L.I has stations all over the British Isles and is manned by volunteers and is funded by public donations.

http://www.rnli.org.uk/action.asp

I can`t take credit for the drop shadow frames,but I like them,I downloaded a photoshop action from http://www.hertz-ladiges.com/

TD

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:46 PM   #2

That little guy is sweetie...He's a natural poser....that's a great shot of him..I really like the scenery shots too..especially the lighthouse.What wonderful subjects you have for just being out for a walk..beautiful landscapes and cooperative bovines.I'm really looking forward to your walks now.:-)
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:01 PM   #3

Great shots, TD. I'd like to know your secret on getting such great colors in your shots, they always seem to stand out. I like the close-up of the Calf, and the stonework in the 3rd one really catches the eye.Like your frames too.

Is Photoshop fairly easy to learn?I use PSP9, but sometimes wonder if I shouldn't switch.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:12 PM   #4

Sorry TD..monument..not lighthouse..I must not just to look at the pretty pictures but also to remember to read..:-)
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:37 PM   #5

Excellant shotsTD. Very crisp and clean. I wish there were more such places close around here. What is the hoad monument a monument to? And is that a castle across the water in the last one. I really like the drop shadow frames. My version of pse has that effect as a plugin.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Is Photoshop fairly easy to learn?I use PSP9, but sometimes wonder if I shouldn't switch.

I`ve only been using Photoshop for a couple of months,(CS2 ,it helps if your cousin has his own design and advertising company and buys allthe latest software).Its easy to pick up Bob,there are lots of tutorials on the web.I also have PSP6 installed.For my colours,I bump up the saturation to about +4 ,and use the

local contrast enhancement,which is Unsharp mask

Amount- 20%

Radius- 50

Threshold- 0.

The stonework in the 3rd shot is called a drystone wall,they are everywhere you look in the lakes and surrounding areas,its a dying art,no mortar just strategically placed stones.

Right now the history lesson,Hoad Monument was built in 1850,it commemorates Sir John Barrow, a founder member of the Royal Geographical Society and an explorer.

Capt Cook praised the maps and cartography of Sir John Barrow. In Cook's explorations he named many places after him.
One was Barrow Strait, Northwest Territories,Canada's coast ,Arctic Ocean, and also Point Barrow Alaska.Cook also named an island off North-west Australia 'Barrow Island'

Dawg,your right that is a castle,Piel Castle built in 1372 ( Piel Island) only accessable by ferry,or 4x4 when the tide is out.I`ll visit soon and take some pics.(and another history lesson :?)

TD

Old Jul 11, 2005, 6:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the info, TD. I think I am going to try Photoshop as about 95% of the online tutorials are geared towards it.

TD, have you ever thought about doing a photo essay book on some of the historical settings in your region? Maybe a themed type of book? Just curious as you have some wonderful scenery and historical markers in your country.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:32 PM   #8

I`ve never really thought about it Bob,now you mention it ,most of the places I visit and take pictures of have some historical value.There are that many places around here that it would take some doing.I was going to try to visit all the Lakes ,it could be done in a day .I may give it a try.The website and the pics aren`t a problem ,its the research that would take time.Thanks for the idea :idea:

TD
Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:15 AM   #9

Can't wait to see some castle pics . They are old buildings and you know how I like them!!! I think Bob has a great Idea there. I know that I would certainly be interested in the book or website or both if take on this task, TD. In fact that Idea is a good one for most of the folks that post here.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:36 PM   #10

Hey (Tommysdad) what kind of lens do you have on your dx6490 when your taking photos of the cow????

Because they are very nice!!!:-)

Is it a Cirular Polarizator??
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote