Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 17, 2005, 7:12 AM   #1

I know this probably isn't the right forum for this topic,but I was just wondering how you all save your pic.to cd's ? I don't have a program I use for saving,just the built in that's included with XP.I don't have a lot of memory on my hard dive to keep a lot of pictures on my hard drive and have to burn them pretty often.I use the Kodak Dx 7590.What is the best way to get as many pictures on one cd?

Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:57 AM   #2

Say you have the pik in "my documents" you right click on the pik and a menu will drop down with one of the options being "send to" then one of the options will be your cd.

Pablo
alandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:50 AM   #3

Thanks Pablo,I know how to save them,I guess what I was really asking was should I size them before sending them to cd's or keep them at the original size as they come from camera,I'd like to get as many pictures on one cd as I can.I don't really have a good catalog system to finding them once I put on cd,except making notes on the cd covers

Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:00 AM   #4

Try this post Sandy and see if it can help some.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 2:24 PM   #5

smiles wrote:
Quote:
should I size them before sending them to cd's or keep them at the original size as they come from camera,I'd like to get as many pictures on one cd as I can
Quote:
.I don't really have a good catalog system to finding them once I put on cd,except making notes on the cd covers

Sandy
Every time I've cut back on information in the interest of space, I've been sorry. You can't make JPEGs bigger again once you've made them smaller. CD-Rs are so cheap, you don't gain much by filling them chock full ofshrunk files.

My catalog "system" is simply to create a new folder with each camera download (I don't use Easyshare). I then name the folder with whatever it is I can remember having photographed in that batch.

For example, my Kodak folder contains such scintillating sub-folders as:

CatRabbit, Bridge, Framingham Houses, Mill, Moonset Pelham, River...

It's enough to sort of remind me what might be in each folder.

I tried cataloging programs many years ago and found them useless unless I named pictures and/or went to the bother of typing in descriptions each time. Five years from now, you'll be able to announce to your camera what you're photographing and flawless speech recognition will automatically name the pictures... yeah, right...

Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 2:45 PM   #6

I save my pics in tif to cdformat in and use them as masters for editing. DTifs are large but losseless and CDs are cheap.

tsims
tsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 3:56 PM   #7

I agree with DGehman. At the price of CDs it isn't worth lowering the quality for storage. Circuit City has a pack of 50 CDs for $7 and no rebates to fool with this week. They are 700Mb and 48X. They are an off brand, but probably come from the same factory as TDKs and HPs. For $7 you can probably store nearly 20,000 images according to the Mp and compression of the camera.

I haven't had problems with off brands. I used the cheapest ones I could find to record some audio CDs for my truck changer figuring they wouldn't last long in the Florida sun. They are still playing fine after 4 years in the changer. I started with burners back when 2X was the latest and greatest. I have yet to have a CD I burned go bad on me.

For keeping track of what is on the CD I use Irfanview. You can set Irfanview to make large thumbnails so you can actually see what is in the image. I use 200 X 200 because it gives me 5 abreast. After I have moved about 680Mb of images to a folder I have Irfanview make large thumbnails of the entire folder. Then Irfanview makes a html file of the entire group of thumbnails to another folder. I name that folder the same as the CD, and can look through the file on the computer quickly to find an image. You have to tell Irfanview to not save the originals in the folder. Without the originals the thumbnail file is very small. Then I burn the images in the folder and delete it after I check the burn(s). I usually make two. I don't use folders on the CD.

I've owned and tried numerous cataloging programs. I've decided I'm too lazy to mess with them. There are a couple that will keep track of images after you move them to a CD or DVD. I recommend you use one of those if you get an organizing program.

If you put your images in folders on the CD I highly recommend EXIF Image Viewer. It is the only thumbnail program I have found that looks in sub-folders. You can have it search the CD and it will look in all of the folders. It will generate thumbnails of everything on the CD very quickly. It is faster if you don't strip the EXIF from the image. http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html You can't resize the thumbnails though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 4:11 PM   #8

tsims wrote:
Quote:
I save my pics in tif to cdformat in and use them as masters for editing. DTifs are large but losseless and CDs are cheap.

tsims
If you took the images from the camera as JPGs you can't do any better by converting them to TIFF. If you copy the original JPGs to a CD and back you don't get the quality loss associated with saving a JPG again as JPG after you modify it.

An image editor decompresses the original JPG to full size with any JPG artifacts from the in-camera compression in the image. It is as good a master as saving that to TIFF with the artifacts already in it. You are just wasting time and space unless you have modified the original image.

If you modified the image you do best saving and archiving as TIFF though. But I save both the original JPG and modified TIFF (usually PSD). The original JPG from the camera is your digital negative and I like to keep the original in case I want to do a different type of image editing with it.

On my camera that uses raw I record them as raw.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 4:58 PM   #9
Pyg

I would keep the file size as large as possible. As others have pointed out, it's much easier to shrink the picture than it is to enlarge it.

One thing to note... Buy quality blank CD's. Everyone thinks that once you burn a CD it lasts forever, this is not true. It's starting to becomecommon knowledgenow that data on a 'burnt at home' CD only lasts about 3 to 5 years.

*The process that software manufacturers use to burn commercial grade software to CD's is not the same processas your $50.00 CD burner you picked up at Best Buy.
Pyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:52 PM   #10

I'm not as trusting of CD's as some ( I guess I'm just old ) so I also am starting to have prints made of the one's I really want to keep. Then if for some reason you lose what's on the CD, you can scan it back in and re-copy to CD. Also I you don't have a safety deposit box to store them, then at least get a fire proof safe to put them in!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote