Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:07 AM   #11

Hey Paul,

Personally, I'd say this shot is not so bad as you might think. The clock is only slightly blown out. Some judicious contrast masking would lighten the sky and really bring out the profile of the towers. There is a really intersting shadow cast on the left-hand tower that I like a lot. I know the date-stamp is an annoyance, but that's easily turned off.

My main problem with this shot, after all the adjustments are done, is that there is a big, black block down front and center that for some reason is unlit and really distracts from the rest of the shot. Unlike the rest of the image, there is no salvageable data in this area. Perhaps your ful-rez image has some living pixels there that can be adjusted a little.

This is the kind of shot I like most. Maybe I'm a vampire or something.:shock:

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:16 AM   #12

If I catch You right, the question is abot exposure- highlightd and shadows? I have come to a conclusion that manu digicams (DX7440 as well) have rather limited "dynamic band"- capability of capturing images with bright and dark zones. Sorry for not capable of describing that in English.
Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:04 AM   #13

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Like I said you need to use this shot in your book. There are still a lot of folks that do not know that you can turn off the date stamp and a lot of others that seem to think the photos are supposed to have it there!!
Dawg
That was the plan all along, take an ok holiday type photo and turn the stamp on. For me to go back and re-shoot it, it would take an hour from my home, but if you have travelled from further away, how annoyed would you be if that was sitting at the bottom of the print?

Attached Images

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:10 AM   #14

Marinjo wrote:
Quote:
If I catch You right, the question is abot exposure- highlightd and shadows? I have come to a conclusion that manu digicams (DX7440 as well) have rather limited "dynamic band"- capability of capturing images with bright and dark zones. Sorry for not capable of describing that in English.
That's the problem with all digicams, the range is not as generous as negative film. I compare using digital as the same as shooting slide film, you have to get the exposure pretty perfect to get the best picture from it.
Sometimes you have to decide what the most important part of the picture is....
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:21 AM   #15

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
Hey Paul,

The clock is only slightly blown out. Some judicious contrast masking would lighten the sky and really bring out the profile of the towers.
I have tried this building before with the 6490, the only thing that works is a grad grey filter at an angle over the clock face.

Quote:
My main problem with this shot, after all the adjustments are done, is that there is a big, black block down front and center that for some reason is unlit and really distracts from the rest of the shot. Unlike the rest of the image, there is no salvageable data in this area. Perhaps your ful-rez image has some living pixels there that can be adjusted a little.
It doesn't. I was going to attempt a few more, but it started to rain, so I went for a beer instead.

You have to have your priorities in the right order in London.

The graduated filtered look.
Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:55 AM   #16

real nice shots
turning the date off was one of the first things I done
yes at times I can see it being ok to be on a pic
but not as big as it is

TechJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:04 AM   #17

That's exactly what I mean:

That was the plan all along, take an ok holiday type photo and turn the stamp on. For me to go back and re-shoot it, it would take an hour from my home, but if you have travelled from further away, how annoyed would you be if that was sitting at the bottom of the print?

That really is a nice shot if you could get it a little earlier and see the Spires. Also, like Tom, the dark block in the center is a distraction. But some things are beyond your control and you get what's allowed.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:04 AM   #18

That's exactly what I mean:

That really is a nice shot if you could get it a little earlier and see the Spires. Also, like Tom, the dark block in the center is a distraction. But some things are beyond your control and you get what's allowed.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote