Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:07 AM   #1

Hello,

Can any Kodak v550 user comment is it's possible to do simple movie edit functions like movie cut inside the camera?

Also is it possible my any software to convert mov to the more generic form - without quality loss ( leaving the mpeg4 information untuched) ?

Thanks for any information!

- pat
patte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 12:44 PM   #2

Movies can only be edited in EasyShare 5.0 software. Yes, "Trim & Splice" are possible (Kodak's terms for "cut & join"). ES 5.0 (beta) does provide an option to SaveAs AVI, but I found it a little bit buggy (as of the beta 5.0.3 version), that (1) it cannot SaveAs AVI for movies larger than 10MB. (2) Even if the file can be converted, the quality is a bit degraded (many mosaic), and the filesize of the resulting AVI is only half the original QT.

Let's wait & see what improvments in 5.1.

(Unfortunately, ES 5.0 is only accessible to registered Kodak users.)

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:09 AM   #3

Thanks for the valueful information. Just a comment: for the movie camera internal cut and join would be valueful - to capture something great it's better to start to early and end too late, and cut the movie on site - to make room for more movies / pictures.

Yes in PC transcoding from quicktime mpeg 4 to avi meg4 should be possible without quality loss - lets hope the correct this in software.

thanks
-pat
patte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:29 AM   #4

Or you may find some dedicated video editing systems e.g. Pinnacle, which is a h/w USB mpeg codec ~US$250, plus additional mpeg-4 plug-in at about US$100.

But of course, we want everything built-in or bundled with our DC

Yes, I agree that the lack of cut/join functions built-in to the V550 h/w, and if you have a below 512MB SD card, you have to take video cautiously, only when necessary.

But for me with a Sandisk UltraII 1GB, I just take video arbitrarily. The only discouraging factor is the subsequent uploading and stress on your hard drive space.

Also the edit movies have NO LOSS in quality (if you keep the format as QT MPEG-4).
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote