Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:11 AM   #11

Well put, Brian. The important point is to use the right tool for the job. Just because you have a zoom or a wide angle or a macro doesn't mean they are right for every shot. Zooms are for zooming, wide-angles are for wide angles. Decide what you are shooting and rig accordingly. Otherwise you will be disappointed.

The same should be said for polarizers; there are times when you definitely don't want one on your camera. They are next to useless when the light hitting the lens is not polarized itself and can seriously reduce your shutter speed in low light situations. Instead, my standard filter is an inexpensive UV filter. The polarizer comes out when I need it.

We love our toys, but need to learn when to put them on the camera or put them in the bag.

All that off my chest, don't be afraid to experiment. You will learn some very useful tricks. For example, yesterday... Hoya +1 AND +2 (adds up to 3, doesn't it) and Tcon 17at full optical (never digital) gives a fairly precise focus in landscape mode at 32 inches. The TCon allows you to get farther away from your subject and gives a lot more DOF, which is so hard to manage with macros. Grab your tape measure and go.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:13 PM   #12

Tom, thanks for the info. I wouldn't have thought of putting the Tcon together with close-ups, but I will definitely have to try it.....Oh boy, something new to play with!!

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:25 PM   #13

dan279 wrote:
Quote:
Tom, thanks for the info. I wouldn't have thought of putting the Tcon together with close-ups, but I will definitely have to try it.....Oh boy, something new to play with!!

Dan
Check out this post if you're interested.

Focal length test

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 5:19 PM   #14

I don't have a "T-con". However, I use the Kodak teleconverter (2x). Here are 2 sample photos. The one with the bird/birdbath is cropped about 50%, and the flower is straight out of the camera. The Bird was about 100 ft. and the flower about 5 ft, and my camera has 3x optical. The reson for this response is to illustrate the difference in quality in two different situations. IMHO, teleconverter can give good results (not great) if the light is soft, and the subject fairly close. That being said, I HATE both of these photos.
Attached Images

johnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 5:21 PM   #15

ok, now the bird....

or not?!?!?
Attached Images

johnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:14 PM   #16

I just sent for mine from Page Computers.com..........$93.93 including shipping. I have bought from Page in the past and they delivered right on time, with no sales people calling to tell me any stories about other things I need to make it work.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote