Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 1, 2005, 4:37 AM   #1

do i or dont i get one ??

does it actually give much more zoom ??

how clear are landscape pics with them ??

is there any blurring around the edges of shots ??

paul
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:12 AM   #2

Paul,,,,i`ve been using the DX6490 for about 2 years now,,,arround 18,000+ pics,,,,the tcon was used about 2000 i`d say,,,it does add CA (purple fringing) in high contrast areas,,,not much though,,as for softness and clarity,,,i really don`t think you`ll find a sharper add-on for the price,,,believe me i looked for about a year...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:16 AM   #3

brianhare wrote:
Quote:
believe me i looked for about a year...
Brian
After I told you about getting one for a good six months..........
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:39 AM   #4

True Paul,,,,but,,,one rule here,,,never,ever,in a second,ever,,,believe Paul....

lol

Brian
Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:53 AM   #5

has anyone got a good landscape pic with tcon and no digital zoom !!

i have seen bigfdawgs rocket pics and was put off the tcon as the full zoom shot was to me bad quality, sorry dawg.

its just £70 is alot to splash out for something im not going to like !!

paul
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 8:32 AM   #6

Alright,,,sit down and we`ll get started here.............

Here`s three.....

The first link shows a shoreline,,,but here`s where you got to think......if you are taking a landscape pic,,,full scenic shot,,,why would you ever want to use a tele lense,,,you would want a wide angle for that job,,why,,,because you are bring something foreward that is mostly trees and things with very small detail,,,which i might add these cameras do not do well....and also you have to have an extremely clear day,,,with not even a hint of high moisture in the air,,or you get this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...sampletcon.jpg

And the haze ruins the shot,,,IMHO..

But that being said,,,if you use a tripod,,get a fairly clear day,,you can get some rather decent shots off...

Here`s full zoom,,no tcon...

And with...no tripod here though,,i usually don`t use one

The more "GLASS" you put in front of any lense,,,the lesser the quality,,,and this goes for any camera,,DSLR or other wise,,,,quality will be lost...

But this lense really shines for bringing things closer to you,,that need to be...like these 2 shots...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/100B6161.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/100B4150.jpg

These Bald Eagle shots couldn`t be done at 10 times,,,no detail would have been seen,,and they needed to be brought in closer for decent definition....

So unless you can get that perfect haze free day,,,,,and taking into account that the camera,,not the lense,,is most of the problem with loss of detail in trees,grasses,and such (kodak is known for too high compression of fine detail areas),,then the tcon17 does a good job...look at some of your 10 times shots,,,with lots of trees and grass,,blow them up,,,you`ll see the "oil painting" look i`m referring too,,and the fudgyness of tree leaves,branches etc....

Not trying by any means to upset anyone either here,,,,but this camera takes great shots,if used properly,,,within it`s limits....and fine detail from afar has it`s limits with this cheap camera....a DSLR can get better shots,,,,but look at the sensor size,,and price...a decent lense that will go to the 646mm focal length that the tcon does,,,if purchased for a DSLR would cost you 1000 bucks,,,and that`s for a cheap one..

Sorry to ramble on,,i get typing,,,and forget to stop sometimes...but my main point here is,,,you will not get a better tele shot,,on this camera,,,,,with another brand lense....and like i said,,,it`s not all the lenses fault,,,,,though imust admit,,low dispersion glass would make a pile of difference,,if someone made an add-on with that expensive glass.....no one does though,,not even Raynox...

Brian
Old Aug 1, 2005, 8:55 AM   #7

Ramble on any time you like Brian, I thought it was very interesting.

Pablo
alandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:33 AM   #8

Not upset at all Marshy. That shot was through a very hazy day and hand held. There was no camera around that could have cut through the heat waves and haze to get a clear shot. Full dig on some and half dig-zoom on others. The one that I like the best is this one from about 100 yards away and 3/4 zoom. This is one of my better hand held shots using the TCON. Shaky hands make for a shaky pic! LOL The choice ultimatly is up to you. I couldn't do without mine.

Dawg

Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:11 PM   #9

alandjo wrote:
Quote:
Ramble on any time you like Brian, I thought it was very interesting.

ROFL. :G

I did also, thanks Brian

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:08 AM   #10

Brian I can't thank you enough for your post here about the Tcon I finally got mine Monday,but haven't had a chance to get anywhere where I can really try it out.Wildlife is what I'm hoping to be able to use it for.I think I'm really going to enjoy it though.Also have a skylight filter and a cp coming.So I'm sure I'm going to have LOTS of questions:?

Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote