Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 2, 2005, 6:20 PM   #21

Sorry guys but the P850 isn't the big news here, look at the P880. It only has a 5.8X zoom but it has a manual zoom lens, RAW capture mode and a number of very professional features. Since it has abandoned the DSLR market (except for 4/3 and largersensors of course) they seem to have come up with a serious amateur camera for those of use who can't really afford a proper DSLR kit (forget the advertised price, on mediocre lens is all you get). I am very interested in the Fuji S9000 but now I have another option, can't wait to see some reviews on these two.

Yes DSLRs are a step up but to get a DSLR with the equivalent to a 24-140mm fast lens will cost at least twice theprice of this one. (on a typical APS sized sensorDSLR you will need a 16-93mm lens, not many 16s out there yet at a reasonable price)

Fourother items in favour of these cameras, 1) No dust on the sensor issues, 2) One camerawith lens is much more portable than a DSLR kit, 3) the ability to shoot video clips now and then (it doesn't replace a video camera but at least you can capture those unexpected moments), 4) the LCD can be a great aid to framing (like a tiny view camera).

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 6:32 PM   #22

They look cool, I`ll probably get one or the other,,, here`s the biggie for methough,,
does the screen go black when the shutter is pressed ??:G, I hope not, this is one thing that bugs me on the 6490.

TD

Thanks for the info Paul
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 6:47 PM   #23

tommysdad wrote:
Quote:
They look cool, I`ll probably get one or the other,,, here`s the biggie for methough,,
does the screen go black when the shutter is pressed ??:G, I hope not, this is one thing that bugs me on the 6490.

TD

Thanks for the info Paul
If I told you the viewfinder on a D70 goes black (Mirror flip) when you take a shot, would that bother you?
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 7:12 PM   #24

Quote:
If I told you the viewfinder on a D70 goes black (Mirror flip) when you take a shot, would that bother you?

Not now it doesn`t :G

TD

Having looked at the manuals and specs,, the 880 is my choice,I don`t use 10x zoom that often still got my TCON,I`ll take 8mp over 12x zoom anyday

I was lookin at the Lumix range of cameras :O
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 7:30 PM   #25

"DSLR prices are dropping all the time, why Kodak didnt go the extra little bit is beyond me, surely the could have given us something to realy sing and dance about, a DSLR."

I think it was a wise marketing decision by Kodak. Time will tell.

lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 7:41 PM   #26

Well,,that`s interesting Dave,,,when you bought the 2 7590`s you said you would not get a DSLR,,,you said that the 7590`s were as good as a DSLR...????????????????????????....i still like my 6490,,,a lot actually.....but,,the 7590 wasn`t an upgrade to me.....5 megapixels is enough,,,but i wanted a little more in my next camera than the 7590 had to offer,,,i`ve used my wifes sons 7590 and it`s not a bad camera,,,but there were things i didn`t like about it too...

Now the new 12x cam is a little better,,no jump ahead and beat the crowd off with a stick,,,but kodak never did or ever will do that it seems...Them finally get off there keesters and putting IS in a camera and 12x zoom is very nice,,,i had the S1 IS for about a week,,liked the IS,,,it REALLY works well if you have ever used it....those long tele shots are smoothed out big time when handheld in a hurry.and adding the TCON17 to the end will give you a whopping 730+ mm of tele,,,and IS will be a very needed feature at that length,,or using the self timer and running away so as not to breath on the camera,,,,lol...2.5 inch LCD is nice too....if you like your 7590 then you`d love this,,,but your in the same place i was when the 6490 was upped by the 7590...little bit better in some ways,,just not a leep...but going from the 6490 to the new 12x.....would be a fair leep to me,,,don`t you think.....personally 1/2 bugs me that they didn`t put IS on the 7590,,,,they knew they needed too,,,,,but someone at kodak needed a slap in the face i guess,,,maybe that loser was left behind when they dropped all those employees..

Time will tell,,if it`s a nice camera,,or not,,,,,but the Schneider 1.4 tele add-on is giving me an itchy wallet.......

As for the 8 meg camera,,they can shove that,,,,140mm lense is not enough,,,and any add-on that would bring me to 600-700mm that i require is not going to be made,,,,and if i was going to spend money on a 8 meg camera,,,it would be a DSLR,,,DUST ON THE SENSOR OR NOT,,,the sensor is too small,,,,noise at high ISO would be a nightmare......and again,,144mm is a joke..........

Brian

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:25 PM   #27

I agree, Brian. 8 MP just isn't all that great unless it is DSLR. I've seen shots from the 8 MP high end sony's and other brands that just didn't cut it. 5 MP in the pro-sumer cam's is enough. IMO. And having 730 pluss mm focal length would be noticible when you used the tcon....might be an 850 down the road.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:41 PM   #28

I'm suprised as well at your comment Dave, I thought the P880 would be your kind of camera, it is mine.
24mm wide end for those landscapes and ISO50 makes a great combination in my eyes, sure it lacks the zoooooooooom of the P850, but most of my shots with the D70 were taken with a 28-80mm Nikkor (42-120 due to crop ratio)
I would love some more wide angle for that, but those wide lenses are far too much cash to buy, this is a dust free, good handling. fully manual camera.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:51 PM   #29

Hi Brian, yes my friend I have taken your points on board and agree, I do have a habbit of passing on my camera equipment to my family, I am not in the least bit interested in Kodaks new cameras.

As you say I have 2 brand new DX7590s, yes they are close to s DSLR in some ways, and I still believe they are a first class camera in their price range.

I just dont see the point of chasing RAW Files, 8MP monsters that produce massive files, I use a P4 Laptop for all my photo work combined with PS7 I get great results, if I got one of these Memory Card Gobbling Machines I would have to update my one year old computer, as things are at the moment I have a 120G capacity, most of which is used for storing photo files.

My whole system revolves around 5 to 6 MP cameras, it is well balanced and I am more that happy with the results, I have to say of course if I was interested in the P880 I could choose to shoot at 5MP, I may as well hang onto my DX7590s.

Maybe further down the track I will pass on my DX7590s to family, I cant see that happening for a long while yet, when I do update it will be for a Real DSLR not Kodak Substitute, that is all the new Kodaks are to me, just Substitutes, the prices will be low, I will be able to shoot at 6MP and have the benifit of a real viewfinder not an EVF.

As I mostly view my pictures as Slide Shows on my laptop I dont feel I need a higher MP camera, I get more than good results out of my Photosmart 7660 printer at A4, I dont realy need anything better.

If I need big blowups I will use ISO50 slide film in one of my two Canon EOS 35mm cams.

After all is said and done I also get sick of coughing up my hard earned cash every time something new comes on the market.

These of course are my observations only, after 47 years of photography I am slighly immune to lashing out every time something new comes out.

Regards
Dave.
Downunder.
OldShutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:52 PM   #30

Man, I would really like to have that p880, but I haven't even figured out the 6490 yet LOL. I just might have to get one later though.

Darrell
doitnthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote