Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:49 PM   #1

The Hoya close-up filters are a fairly inexpensive way to add magnification to digicams. (not zoom, magnification) They are usually sold in sets; mine is +1, +2, +4. As you stack them togetheryou add the values together to determine your magnification factor. If you do the arithmetic, my set will give me a total magnification factor of +7.

The problem is that you end up working very close to your subject, with an increasingly small depth of field. The depth of field at +7 isnot morethan ΒΌ inch. I've been stacking these filters for a while in combination with the TCon-17 on my dx6490. This has the effect of more than doubling the focal distance to the subject. (wouldn't you like to be twice as far from black wasps? :-)) In the process of adding the TCon-17, you lose some of the magnification factor, but I suppose there has to be a trade off somewhere in the equation.

I finally took the time to measure out the focal distance of the various stacked filters with and without the TCon-17 Hereare my results. They are by no means a scientific survey, but my best measurement given the wind blowing my subject flowers back and forth.

----------

Focal distance test using Hoya close up filters and Olympus TCon-17
Kodak DX6490 at full optical zoom in landscape mode

# A"B"

1 42 105
2 19 54
3* 12 32
4 9.5 22.5
5* 8 17.5
6* 6.5 14
7* 6 12

# - Hoya magnification factor
A" - Focal distance in inches
B" - Focal distance in inches with TCon-17 attached
* - Hoya filters stacked low to high

I don't know if this is of use to anyone, but at least I've taken the some of the guess work out of my macro shooting. I've got a print out of the table in my camera case with my Hoyas.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:47 PM   #2

Tom

I tried using a +1 or +2 with the TCON when trying to get shots of Swallows that were inside the [resulting] minimum focus, but found that the contrast & clarity of the results suffered - kind of an overall slight softness - do you notice this at all ?

I'm only using a fairly cheap set of Kood close-ups, so could be that the Hoya's give significantly better results [probably at least twice the price in the UK] - are they MultiCoated ?

Any chance of a without/with comparison.

Thanks

IDM
IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:01 PM   #3

IanMiddy wrote:
Quote:
Tom

I tried using a +1 or +2 with the TCON when trying to get shots of Swallows that were inside the [resulting] minimum focus, but found that the contrast & clarity of the results suffered - kind of an overall slight softness - do you notice this at all ?

Any chance of a without/with comparison.

Thanks

IDM
This is not a with/without, but it is one of my first experiments with the technique.

Far too much glass

Of course, as someone on the forums mentioned the other day, every piece of glass you put between your subject and the sensor will distort your image in some way. The only perfect lens is no lens - I did a photoshoot the other day with someone who took a cheap Polaroid mechanism and made a pinhole camera. That's the perfect lens.

Cheers,

Now if I could only find that old Polaroid we had....

Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:13 PM   #4

Thanks again, Tom...You've made it much easier for me to play with this technique. I too plan on printing your info and saving it for reference.

Just a note to any other members who haven't seen Tom's photos, click on his link- there's a lot of nice work there.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:14 PM   #5

Tom

thanks for the link - your result is a lot crisper than mine - and sometimes an extra layer of glass [like the polariser you included] is better than none at all - I'm wondering if a polariser might have improved mine, since they were against either blue sky or a fairly light wall...

Are your Hoya's HMC's ? - their web-site says they do ordinary or HMC close-ups, but not the "Super" HMC...

Pinholes are great, but not much good when you're looking for 12x or greater mag !

Cheers

IDM
IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:27 PM   #6

dan279 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again, Tom...You've made it much easier for me to play with this technique. I too plan on printing your info and saving it for reference.

Just a note to any other members who haven't seen Tom's photos, click on his link- there's a lot of nice work there.

Dan

Blush 8)

Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:33 PM   #7

IanMiddy wrote:
Quote:
Tom

Are your Hoya's HMC's ? - their web-site says they do ordinary or HMC close-ups, but not the "Super" HMC...
Nothing in/on the box to indicate anything other than "close-up filters".

Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:17 PM   #8

Hell Tom im glad to catch this post of yours i have those lenses on order at Camera Canada .

The Tcon is holding backmy orderit was supposeto be in stock but was not they say i should have everything by next week , so im anxious to try your settings

Knight67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:30 PM   #9

May just have to order some, thanks for the info Tom.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:21 PM   #10

Thanks Tom, I'm going to best buy and see if they have some otherwise will order from B&H

Pablo
alandjo is offline   Reply With Quote