Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 6, 2005, 10:30 PM   #1

Here's a question: The DX6490 has three sharpness settings - standard, sharp and soft. The standard setting applies a moderate sharpening of the detials in the image, the sharp setting increases this effect.

What does the soft setting do? Does it simply apply less sharpening to the image, or does it actively apply softening to the images? (Which is more damaging to the image data - sharpening or softening?)

My ideal is to have images that have a minimum of processing when I download them from the camera. We will never see a firmware update for this camera to disable sharpening and compression, so I just want to know which setting will result in the purest data. It is so frustrating to take a fine look at details in a busy image - grass or leaves or the like - and see blocks and chunks where the camera has butchered the data.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2005, 6:37 AM   #2

I leave the sharpening to photoshop,I have a few actions that I use depending on the quality of pic from the camera.I did experiment last week with the sharpness settings shootin on an overcast day with 200 iso.There was a slight difference (better quality), but I still prefer photoshop.Batch processingwith actions and droplets saves a lot of time in editing.I suppose leaving the sharpening to the camera will hinder photoshop slightly.I would of thought photoshop does a better job of sharpening than the camera.I think I read somewhere on the luminous landscape that its best to leave the cameras sharpening settingson normal

http://luminous-landscape.com/

a link to the actions,thats if you use photoshop

http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm

TD

Good luck Tom
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 8:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the links, TD. The point is, though that the camera applies sharpening to all shots, whether we want it to or not. This is one of the biggest complaints of 6490 customers. (That and not being able to save an uncompressed image.) I'm trying to figure out which setting is least destructive to image data.

Kodak was probably correct in assuming that most consumers would not wantun-compressed, unsharpened pictures. Most consumers simply want to print pictures directly off their camera, or want to take their memory card to a shop and have them do it. These consumers would probably not like the results from the raw data on their camera. They need their pictures to come off the camera in some form that they can use immediately, and the camera does that for them. The trade off is that the image files, by the time we see them, are already sharpened and compressed.

This is where my frustration comes in. I open a file from my camera. I zoom in 100%. "What's that clumpy-looking stuff?" "Sharpening artifacts." "But I haven't sharpened anything!" "Oh well."

I have to stop now; I'm starting to talk to myself.

"No, you're not" GRRrrrrrr r r r..... . . . ..

Cheers,

Old Aug 7, 2005, 4:44 PM   #4

Normal!!!! Like TD said Photoshop and some plugin filters do a more precise job. If you try to go the other way and shoot in sharp mode then soften them you get the muddy color syndrome!! I wish the DX6490 wasn't quite as sharp because sometimes it does exactly what Tom is saying. I guess I'll have to save my money and get a P880 or P850 and let the wife have the Ole DX. Such a sacrifice!!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:55 PM   #5

I think it`ll be the 850 if Mrs Dawghas her trousers on:G

I agree with what your sayin Tom,I`m sitting tight till the next best thing.The 6490 is an excellent digicam (my first ever camera),but sometimes the quality isn`t good enough on the enlarged crop.I`ll probably stick with kodak because of the reliability,the fantastic shots kodak cameras produce(my CX7530, what a gem),and of course my friends on this forum.
My 6490 is nearly 1 year old ,today I let a staunch 35mm guytake some pictures with it.He was convinced in 5 minutes that digital was the way to go,he asked if I wanted to sell it, "maybe in september" I said

TD

Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:59 PM   #6

tommysdad wrote:
Quote:
"maybe in september" I said

TD
Hmmmm September, eh? What might you be wanting to do in September?:-)

Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:09 PM   #7

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
tommysdad wrote:
Quote:
"maybe in september" I said

TD
Hmmmm September, eh? What might you be wanting to do in September?:-)

spend some money thats burnin a hole in my pocket :G

TD

When would I need 12x zoooom
Old Aug 8, 2005, 5:41 AM   #8

Me too T.D., I'm waiting patiently for the p850. But for now my little CX7530 (The Gem) will do. I also have a hole in my pocket maybe thats where my money fell out.LOL(what money):lol:

Mr Blue
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:16 AM   #9

Buy two TD. Send the other one to Alabama. I think I know someone who will take it.... Wait a minute and I'll ask. Yeah, he said it would be alright and to order from Kodak and have it drop shipped to my address. He'll pick it up there.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote