Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:05 AM   #1

Well, Jeff @ dcresource.com has RE-confirmed Steve's conclusion that this is indeed a good camera:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ko...ew/index.shtml

With the exception of battery life, which I knew about before I bought this camera, which is why I bought a spare right away along with the camera. As I said before I'd give up battery life for beautiful high res LCD screen this camera has, as I think that's what eats most of the energy.
c0mrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:16 PM   #2

Surprisingly he did not compare it to either Casio S500 or Samsung i5, two cameras which are comparable in my opinion. Anyway, how is the battery life of Kodak V530? I like those Red and Pink models!! With a smaller LCD I guess it may last longer. And, in V550 can one finish a 1GB card movie sans changing the battery?
swastikam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:39 PM   #3

In my first few charging cycles of my v550, I did try to estimate the video energy consumption.

Unofficially (my testing conditons were not well controlled) I estimate that 10 sec of movie is equiv to the energy consumed by a still pic shot. So, somebody tested that the v550 could take 150~200 shots => 1500sec ~ 2000sec.

v550 Mpeg-4 is 0.5MB/sec, and 1GB is 2000sec.

So maybe (in my reckoning), you will finish 1GB of 640x480 movie without changing battery.

Practically you may try to save energy in movie mode by:

1. Turn off LCD
2. Turn off Continuous Focusing
3. Avoid optical zoom
4. Avoid fast moving objects to minimize mpeg-4 compression computation
99. Get an external 4xAA NiMH (1.25x4 = 5V) adapter to plug into the v550 5V input.
100. Prepare a pocket of ice to kool the DC which will get boiler-plate hot by the end of your movie.

And I think not too many v550 owners in this forum, are willing to test the video/battery limit for you, bcos that would depreciate the whole DC very much - overheat, SD life ...etc. FYI my clips are at most 5-minute (unless very important occasions).

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:40 PM   #4
Administrator

c0mrade wrote:
Quote:
Well, Jeff @ dcresource.com has confirmed that this is indeed a good camera:

So I guess that means that you didn't believe just my review huh?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/v550.html
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 3:01 PM   #5

steve wrote:
Quote:
c0mrade wrote:
Quote:
Well, Jeff @ dcresource.com has confirmed that this is indeed a good camera:

So I guess that means that you didn't believe just my review huh?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/v550.html
Of course I did Steve, I just said that Jeff reconfirmed that, that's all. It's just always nice to get another professional's oppinion. Sorry, I didn't mean to advertise another site on here or anything, just thought it's an interesting piece of info In fact if you read any of my other threads about this camera, you'll see me refering to you, and your oppinion of it There I edited my original post to clarify that
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:17 PM   #6
Administrator

c0mrade wrote:
Quote:
Of course I did Steve, I just said that Jeff reconfirmed that, that's all. It's just always nice to get another professional's oppinion. Sorry, I didn't mean to advertise another site on here or anything, just thought it's an interesting piece of info In fact if you read any of my other threads about this camera, you'll see me refering to you, and your oppinion of it There I edited my original post to clarify that

I have no problem with links to other reviews, most of my conclusion pages have "Second Opinion" links to the other guy's reviews. I was just being a smarty pants:blah:
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:09 PM   #7

Thank god for sites like yours though, it decreased my pain by about twice, because when I shop for something, I'm just too anal for everything, I have to know everything.