Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:34 PM   #1

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum (in fact I just found it) and got a question that's really getting me on... I can't decide which camera to choose. The Z740 or the DX7590? I had the chance to put my hands on a Z740 but no shop in my area got the DX7590. How do they compare? I found the Z740 quite speedy, not like reported on imaging-resource.com, who stated that it has a quite slow shot-to-shot-speed (They speak of about 1,5 seconds or so). In the review of the 7590 they speak about way over 3 seconds! That's really slow. I can't imagine that it's really that slow cause that would be a real bummer and a clear point not to buy it.
But what's the truth? How does the speed of the two compare?

Another difference of the two is the resolution of the EVF. Is the one in the 7590 really a lot better?

I want a camera with a good shooting speed, it should have no problems to focus without much ambient light (so the AF light of the Z740 could be quite helpful while not absolutely necessary), good shot-to-shot-speed... yeah, and all those little gadgets men like (like the 10x optical zoom and such things)...pleaseeee help me...

Oh, the price difference isn't too big, the DX7590 is available for about 235€ and the Z740 for about 250€... here in Germany

Thanks a lot!
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:09 AM   #2

I considered both and bought the Z740 because it is a little lighter in weight and uses AA rechargeable batteries, available anywhere. I took it on a Caribbean cruise last week (first real test) and I'm very pleased with the results! My photos are great, and I enjoyed using it. Also, there was very little learning curve -- my prior camera was a Nikon Coolpix 4300 and the controls aren't all that different (my son has a Canon and when I picked up his, everything was different. Learning curve was a spiral!)

The 7590 has a somewhat bigger LCD, which I'd like, and a different power button, which is the weakest part of the Z740. And the ability to add a separate flash, which is a feature I'd never use.

Neither has image stabilization, which I miss, but I found that the telephoto pictures I took are very sharp. I even fashioned a bolt-and-a-string "cheater's tripod" but I didn't use it on this trip. I did have a little desktop tripod and I used it to make a couple of great "timer" shots with me in them.

In short, it isn't perfect, but it seems to meet my needs, and I paid less than $280 US delivered. I wanted to add a long zoom and non-proprietary batteries, and this more than fills the bill.

As to your question about the viewfinder, I think it's okay. Things look a little yellow in there, but I don't mind that. The "view" is gone once the shot is taken, so who cares as long as the final photo is fine. (not well expressed, but you get the idea.)

Good luck whatever you choose!

Andy
Andy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 4:13 PM   #3

Myself and the others here are pretty happy with the dx7590. I don't know much about the 740 so I can't compare for you..I never thought external flash would be something I would use either,,but since I bought one and used it I couldn't live without it now......I think if I were in the market now, I would hold off a couple weeks and check out the Kodak P850 or P880....http.www.kodak.com will give you a lot of data about all their cams

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 5:08 PM   #4

Why are folks so worried about the propriatary battery in the DX6490,DX7590?? I get about 350 shots from mine and keep a spare on hand to swap out. Rechargeable AA's don't last as long and the non-rechargeable ones don't last at all! The cost of those can run up pretty quick. The viewfinder on the 7590 goes to black and white and gains up enough in low light to really see what your trying to shoot. And if your shooting in low light a remote or add on flash will really aid you taking those shots. I don't own a 7590, I own a 6490 but they have most of the same chariteristics and respond to low light in much the same way. And finally welcome to the forum Firebird. Hope we have been a little bit of help. Looking forward to some of your posts in the near future!!

Dawg!!
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:57 PM   #5

Go with the DX7590. Don't worry about the proprietary batteries, just buy an extra one and keep it charged. You may never have to use it...I've taken 150 to 200 shots in one day on more than one occasion and have yet to replace a battery. If you can...go for the Z7590...it's a tweaked out model of the DX7590. I own a Dx7590, DX6490, and a DX7630. Never had a battery quit on me yet!
sredd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:31 PM   #6

Hello Firebird and welcome to the forum. I agree with Dan, maybe you should wait for the new P850. Good luck on your choice.
Mr Blue
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:46 AM   #7

Thanks for the answers, I went with the DX7590. In my opinion the proprietary battery is a positive aspect because its long lasting.
It arrived the day before yesterday... one annoying thing: When you put the battery in the charger (no camera dock included in Europe and 70 €, whats about 85 US-$, just for charging? Not with me...) and put it back in the camera after 2-3 hours... the camera will forget all settings including date and time... really annoying, I need a second power pack .
I'm very happy with this camera, although the low-light-AF could even be a bit better...but hey, you can't have everything. I'll post one of my first pictures with this little baby in another thread.

And thanks for the welcome .
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:48 PM   #8

Firebird Kodak did a firmware upgrade regarding the low light focus on the dx7590..check your firmware version, the new one is v1.01

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:37 PM   #9

welcome firebird and hope to see your post soon!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote