Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:47 PM   #1

I BOUHGT THIS CAMERA LAST WEEK AND I FOUND THAT THE SHOT AND THE LENGTH OF MOVIE IS FAR LESSER/SHORTER THAN STATED IN THE MANUAL. FOR MOVIE MODE, WRITTEN IN THE MANUAL IS 1 MIN 43 SECS BUTACTUAL ONLY CAN TAKE MERELY 51SECS FOR THE INTERNAL MEMORY. I HAVE THE 1GB SD CARDAND ITCAN ONLY TAKE 38 MIN OF MOVIE (ACTUAL TESTED)COMPARE TO THE MANUAL STATED THAT FOR 512 MB SD CARD CAN TAKE UPTO 31 MIN 57 SEC AT 640 X 480 VGA. CHECK WITH KODAK DEALER, THE CAPACITY IS AN ESTIMATION BUT I THINK IT SHOULD NOT BE ONLY HALF OF THE LENGTH AS STATED IN THE MANUAL.
cheeheong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:54 AM   #2

I am sorry that you are disappointed. I have no knowledge of how Apple does its Quicktime (.MOV) compression -- is itpossible that you would get more minutes of video with a different scene? In the JPEG compression for the photos, pictures with large expanses of similiar color are very much smaller in file size (and many more would fit on a memory card) than photos with many patterns and colors.

The video capabilities of Kodak digital cameras are not very advanced. New models are addressing many shortcomings (very small video size, and the fact you cannot zoom during video shooting). But I think most of us do not use the video capabilities of our Kodak digital cameras very much. In the long run, it may be better to apply the right tools to a need. Video cameras provide poor single photographs -- similarly, digital cameras do not provide very good video sequences.

(Also please note, and I mean no criticism of you here, in English there is a very large difference between lower case letters and capital letters. USING ALL CAPITALSIS SEEN AS SHOUTING and many people consider this impolite. On top of this, large areas of all capital letters are very hard for us to read...)

Cordially,
Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:00 AM   #3

Hmmm I just got my camera today and true enough, 51 seconds for 32 MB internal @ 640x480 and 1minute 47 seconds for 320x240.

I also installed a 1GB ultraII and checked: 30:53 minutes for 640x480 and 80 minutes for 320x240. Oh well recording was smooth and no framing noticed and I will be using this camera to take clips of my 10 month old son moving about.

I do agree about the estimates being well-off the actual. Initially I was a bit disappointed but for my purposes it will do.
Hopefully Kodak may come out with an correction in the manual or better yet, a patch to allow the camera to record at lengths specified by the 'guesstimates' in the manual and in the review.

I have to admit that I am not really a hardcore photo guy and in buying a camera I base it on size, smooth recording (24fps), and most importantly EASY to use.
I was able to figure out how to use the unit even without opening the manual as the menus are very self-explanatory... except for the AF which I really don't know what it is for (I know...RTFM).

I think Kodak really went the extra mile to make its use SIMPLE. I feel that my wife will not hesitate using it, and have no difficulty in finding the settings for video caps.
Not to mention the time I would save as compared to if I used a camcorder then transfer the recording via firewire it to a PC so it could be burned into a DVD. My only fear is that she might like it so much and return my old Olympus D560 and hold on to the C360.

I almost bought a camcorder but having seen what 24fps recording looks like and having tried it out, I'm glad I bought the C360.

cheeheong wrote:
Quote:
I BOUHGT THIS CAMERA LAST WEEK AND I FOUND THAT THE SHOT AND THE LENGTH OF MOVIE IS FAR LESSER/SHORTER THAN STATED IN THE MANUAL. FOR MOVIE MODE, WRITTEN IN THE MANUAL IS 1 MIN 43 SECS BUTACTUAL ONLY CAN TAKE MERELY 51SECS FOR THE INTERNAL MEMORY. I HAVE THE 1GB SD CARDAND ITCAN ONLY TAKE 38 MIN OF MOVIE (ACTUAL TESTED)COMPARE TO THE MANUAL STATED THAT FOR 512 MB SD CARD CAN TAKE UPTO 31 MIN 57 SEC AT 640 X 480 VGA. CHECK WITH KODAK DEALER, THE CAPACITY IS AN ESTIMATION BUT I THINK IT SHOULD NOT BE ONLY HALF OF THE LENGTH AS STATED IN THE MANUAL.
al1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:55 AM   #4

al1012 wrote:
Quote:

I also installed a 1GB ultraII and checked: 30:53 minutes for 640x480 and 80 minutes for 320x240. Oh well recording was smooth and no framing noticed and I will be using this camera to take clips of my 10 month old son moving about.

Quote:

An update: Using a 1GB SD card, recording time at 640 x480 was 30:53 as displayed by the LCD but actual recording time was 35:26.

Probably an errror in the manual...specs in manual are comparable to 12fps (see video sample in Kodak D740 review).
al1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 3:01 PM   #5

Hi,

This is my first post on here and I do apologise if this topic has been covered previously. I would point out that I am not a professional photographer. I am merely an occasional camera user.

I felt like treating myself to a new digital camera and I therefore purchaseda Kodak C360 earlier this week. I was generally impressed with the cameras specifications and the fact that the video quality was very good with an impressive 20 odd fps.

Still picture quality was excellent.

However, the camera had, what I would consider to be, a major fault when recording video. I shall describe the fault as best as I can in the following paragraphs-

Turn the camera on and select video mode.

Pan around a room, and also, pan from light areas to slightly darker areas.

As the pan takes placeI couldhear a distinct clicking from within the camera. This clicking also appears on the subsequently downloaded video and is very annoying.

The clicking takes place whilst the camera seems to be re focussing, and you do not need to have a memory card inserted in the camera for this noise to be heard.

You do not need to be actually recording for the clicking noise to be heard, it can be heard whilst not recording.

The clicking also re sets the sound mode and you therefore do not get a level sound when watching the video. The volume is up and down.

I hope that you could follow all of that.

Anyway, duly disapointed, I returned the camera to the shop from whereit waspurchased. Whilst in the shop, the shopkeeper opened another C360, put it into video modeand proceeded to pan thiscameraaround his shop. This second camera also made the clicking noise. The shopkeeper then advised me that the noise 'must be normal for this model of camera'

Needless to say, I received a full refund.

I thought that I would share this information with all of you and ask for your comments. Is this clicking normal, methinks it is not!

My current camera is a Konica Minolta Dimage X20 which has served me very well over the last couple of years.

I am now looking atpurchasing Nikon Coolpix 5600, instead of the Kodak.

I look forward to your input

poisondwarf100

poisondwarf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 6:30 PM   #6

I don't think KODAK or any other cam will produce the times they post they will. What things do in a lab setup are only guidelines. If you take avideo of one child waving a flagwith a white wall as a backdrop you'll get more time then the same movie with a busy freeway as the backdrop.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote