Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:35 AM   #1

Hi all, I need advice on a shot I would like to take saturday evening....
Heres the scenario....
It's a moonshot with the moon in the horizon and will appear very large and the moon will peek over the mountains. I will start to take it at dusk and as the moon sets, what are the best settings to use with The DX-7590? I was thinking in apperture mode at F8 with a 100 iso. What do you all think as this will no doubt be a beautiful shot if I can pull it off as it is VERY picturesque.

Thanks alot for any advice offered
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:10 AM   #2

should be but watch your sutter speed
keep it low like a day shot
TechJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 8:57 AM   #3

Bracket,Bracket,Bracket. Be prepared to shoot at different f-stops and different speeds. Shot lots and lots of shots all up and down the range. If possible shoot some a day ahead of time to give you a ball park range and then Bracket, bracket, bracket. Just telling you what I'd do, Wagaboo. Also frame the moon offset slightly to one side. Not too much as it would look contrived but just slightly!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:52 PM   #4

Wag..good luck!..I'm going to try the same if the clouds go away.I was trying last night ..the moon was huge and orange while it was rising but there were some clouds on the horizon so I could never get a good clear shot.I was doing as Dawg mentioned...bracket bracket bracket...I hope one of us get a good shot tonight..:-)
lisa
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:21 PM   #5

Lisa. If my son-in-law returns mine in a usable condition tonight, I think I'll hobble outside and try to get one too. I don't sleep much right now and that would at least occupy some time. Good luck and good shooting to both of you!

Dawg
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:47 PM   #6

Thanks alot all and will try bracketing for sure and maybe we can all post our results as this is the last night for the moon to appear this way, I think.
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:53 PM   #7

I didn't know that Wagaboo I'll have to get out now. I hope my bab... I mean my camera comes back alright.

Dawg
Old Aug 20, 2005, 5:05 PM   #8

This sounds like it's going to be quite interesting,can't wait to see what you all come up with.Sounds like it might not something a beginner like myself to try !! I'll wait and see what you all come up with :-) Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 5:47 PM   #9

Sandy, I can't wait to see your's. The bracketing part is easy. Just shoot it at whatever f-stop your comfortable with and then shoot it again at a lower f-stop, then shoot it at a higher f-stop. Review those and pick the best one and shoot it again at the same speed and f-stop then shoot it at a slower shutter speed and then at a faster shutter speed. pick the best of those from the review and shoot it again,ETC., Etc..... That way you'll find the best way to shoot it for the luminance at that time and the enviromental conditions of that particular night!!

Dawg
Old Aug 20, 2005, 8:52 PM   #10

Thanks for explaining this Dawg I have to admit I never was really sure how the bracketing worked.I don't know what I'd do without you guys & gals on this forum

Sandy
smiles is offline   Reply With Quote