Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:30 PM   #1

Has anyone done any work with raw file format and do you need special software to process it? Thanks for any information -the little I know about it makes it sound interesting for some photos.

Pablo
alandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:41 PM   #2

Photoshop and it's dirivitives will all work with Raw files, Pablo. Paint Shop Pro should! A very memory intensive file format though. Don't have anything else running or it'll stall the computer causing a reboot!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:47 PM   #3

Here is a post in another forum that talks about Raw. Apologies to Paul for stealing it!

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:00 pm Post subject: [line] Out of the two, the P880 would be my preferred choice with it's 24mm wide angle and proper zooming.
The one thing I used to hate with the DX6490 was not the shutter lag, but the zoom lag. This takes care of this issue for me.

RAW files do deliver the goods, but they take a lot out of your computer and your spare time to process. The other day I shot 1.6GB worth of Nikon NEF files (266 photos), to get the absolute best from them, you need to open them in a fast converter (PSP9 isn't good enough for this), set the exposure +/- 2 stops, select the contrast, the white balance can be changed at this point, add some colour to it as it looks a bit dull, and then sharpen it.
After all of this, I'm sure you want to save this image at it's best quality, that's a TIFF file, in the D70's case a cool 34.4MB per picture, with another 2mp from the P880, that could be in the 40's.

If you're very good at taking pictures and don't need to do any more than the basics (if you need to straighten and crop, clone, rotate and so on.... add even time) the process from start to finish will take around two minutes per picture with a machine running 1GB worth of RAM, if you have a slower machine, make it up to 10 mins per photo.

I can see a lot of people will complain about the time RAW files take to process, plus it also slows the camera down if shooting only in RAW because the file sizes are that much bigger.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:51 PM   #4

Pablo, You might want to go here and sign up as a different place to get answers and see thing from a different perspective. Nice folks there too. It's run By ColdSnail!

Dawg

Ps got a chat room there now.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:46 PM   #5

I'll do that - thanks a lot Dawg.

Pablo
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:42 AM   #6

Pablo -

if you're talking about a DX6490, as far as I know you can't get access to the RAW file, only the JPEG camera output. The new P series offers options to retrieve pix as RAW files.

That said, maybe somebody out there has hacked the Kodak camera software to gain access to the full file... but I suspect that the conversion to JPEG is done via a chip, rather than in-camera software -- that is, there may be no internal RAW-like file in the earlier Kodak cameras.

The size of RAW files would slow my computer - 1gHz PIII, 387MB ram - to a crawl.
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 9:05 AM   #7

Thanks DG, in a way I'm glad the 6490 won't do the Raw stuff because with computer and camera slowdown it wouldn't be worth it to me to spend all that extra time.

Pablo