Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 25, 2005, 4:37 PM   #1

Hi,

I have read this forum quite a lot. After having my DX7590 for a while I have tried and tried to become a better photographer (God loves a tryer). Without posting photo's and getting feedback this is tough!My camera takes photo's, that are very large when they are on my PC (so I cant upload them to the forum for feedback) - How do I reduce the size? (Photshop scares me)

Thank you for your wisdom in advance.

:|

Kind Regards

Al.

Darloal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:20 PM   #2

Hi, and welcome...

And take comfort that Photoshop scares everyone.After five or six years, some users become adept with it. The others are likely lying about their abililties.

How do you get your photos on to your PC? If you use the Kodak Easyshare software, it has a feature for emailing photos. I got rid of the software because it had irritating features, so I don't know how this is done, but there must be a way to pick a smaller size for e-mailing or for Web work.

There is also standalone graphics software for resizing, among other things. A free one is Irfan View, http://www.irfanview.com/ Unfortunately, Irfan View is a little on the geeky side and it requires two downloads, the program itself, and a bunch of add-ons that it pretty much has to have to work correctly.

In Irfan View, you would load your picture with File > Open. To do this, you have to know where your pictures are stored...

Then you go to Image > Resize/Resample. You can either amuse yourself by learning what all the options mean or (better) just pick 800 x 600 pixels in the box labeled "Some standard dimensions."

Leave everything else untouched and click "OK."

You then go to File > Save As and give your smaller picture a new name. Then you upload that smaller picture to this forum.

NOTE: when you downsize a JPEG, very often the whole scene goes a little soft, a little bit out of focus. You fix this in Irfan View by going to Image > Sharpen before saving the new,smaller file.

In more sophisticated software, you probably want unsharp mask (USM), but cross your fingers that the software has a decent set of defaults for USM. Otherwise, you will be able to amuse yourself with three more things to learn -- amount, radius, and treshhold. A good default is 100%, 1.1 and 3, respectively, but I have no idea why... I just use them with good results in 90% of cases.

Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:39 PM   #3

Al, welcome to the forum...probably the easiest way of resizing photos( if thats all you want to do)is with windows power toys, It works with windows xp I know, but not sure about previous versions...Its small, fast, and simple, although it does remove the exif data from the pic. You simply right click the pic, choose resize, and choose 800x600 and you're done....Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 9:14 PM   #4

Windows Power toys works good, and is a free download. I use Paint Shop Pro 9...that is until I work up the nerve to teach myself Photoshop. Anyway, welcome to the forums and we will help you all we can.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:34 PM   #5

Use the microsoft powertoys resizer until you get comfortable with photoshop. It works very well and easy! And a hearty welcome to the insanity........ I mean the forum!!! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:59 AM   #6

I too vote for windows power toys "image resizer". Good luck Aland welcome to the forum.

Mr Blue
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:39 AM   #7

Yes, and forget everything I said -- I'm a Windows 2000 user and had no inkling about Power Tools for Windows XP....

Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:25 AM   #8

That's alright Dave. We will still associate with you anyway!!! LOL

Dawg
Old Sep 18, 2005, 1:34 PM   #9

The microsoft tool, is sooooo easy.

Many thanks to you all.

Al.
Darloal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 7:38 PM   #10

You are very welcome and we all would like very much to see some post from that camera of yours!!

Dawg