Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:57 AM   #1

The DX7630 is a good camera, but its restriction to 3x zoom has led to manya green/envy moment seeing the distance brought close by Dawg, C. Snail, Wagaboo and others with long lenses.

But then I remembered we had an old Bushnell Spacemaster spotting scope, 15x-45x zoom eyepiece... all I'd have to do is hook the DX to it and snap away, right?

Sure enough. This suet holder hangs from a tree limb in our back yard. Distance from camera to feeder is around 50ft, at 15x on the scope.

Until I fabricate a camera mount -- no way am I going to cough up $150 for a commercial one -- the setup is unbelievably inconvenient.The Spacemaster is mounted on my old view cam tripod, and the DX is on a lightweight number. The two tripods have to... ahem... blush... cuddle. The DX is missing from the shot below, since I couldn't figure a way to get it to photograph itself without a huge mirriror.

The DX has to be aligned perfectly with the eyepiece on the scope, and I have to zoom all the way to telephoto (such as it is on the DX7630). I'm also finding that pinpoint focus is tough.

Any misalignment results in falloff and chromatic aberration, as in this photo of some sort of scruffy finch:

But at last I can be one of those people whose lens is 10 times bigger than their camera...

Naturally, on the feeder there was a brace of woodpeckers (they chomp our suet rather than our house, thank goodness) until I finally got things sort of aligned. They flew off, to be replaced by this mongrel.

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2005, 1:02 PM   #2

Very inventive, Dave, and a nice shot too! I'm sure you'll work out a better solution...I like the sacrificial suet idea also:-)

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 1:12 PM   #3

Thanks, Dan -- but it's adoptivity (if that's a word) rather than inventiveness. Somewhere I saw the Crystalvue 8x described as a spotting scope, then ran across a review that paired it with a Russian spotting scope... and dimly remembered that we owned this Bushnell thing.

We haven't used it for several years because it's big, heavy and requires a tripod. Any photos taken with it will require a heavy tripod, to say the least... probably will require a weight to hang off my old view camera 'pod, and definitely will require either a remote release or the use of the self-timer.

Dave
Old Aug 27, 2005, 2:24 PM   #4

Dave

you may want to have a look at eBay item

I have one of these and have used it with some success [via a 37/52 stepping ring] attaching my 7440 to an Astro scope - fairly inexpensive & not badly engineered [but you get what you pay for...]

Just an idea...

IDM
Attached Images

IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 3:49 PM   #5

Thanks - that's a copy of the $150 number, visually any way. Says it "ships from Europe" -- any idea from where? How substantial is it?

Thanks for putting me on to this. I may go this route. I had searched on ebay for a low cost alternative, but of course had no idea what search terms to use, other than "lens adapter scope," which returns all sorts of things. Now that I re-run it, I see your adapter shows up on the 4th page of hits.

Ihad beenin the process of cobbling up a home-made adapter with a 1- 1/4" x 6" $3 metalsink drain extension (the finest chromed Chinese brass) + a $5 37mm UV filter which will probably lose its glass.

Still, I like the drain extension because, cut down to length,it will fit completely over the scope's entire eyepiece. Diametric clearance is less than a millimeter. Snugged with 3 set screws, it won't slip off -- at least if it begins to slip, it will have to slip a long way -- and the length will help ensure centering on the axis of the scope eyepiece lens.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 4:07 PM   #6

Agree that the length of your home-made solution will give better results - my adapter is ok, but you do have to tighten the grips quite a bit to keep it at right-angles to the line of sight - an 'engineered-to-fit-the-tube' solution will make that more straightforward...

I think mine came from Poland - although the seller is based in Scotland - the mysteries of eBay !!!

It's not badly made, but I feel that if it's used to mount onto small-diameter eyepieces [I also have an old spotting scope I've tried it with] the metal internal 'band' will be stretched too much, so I try to just use it on the Astro scope now.

Looking forward to seeing your results with whatever you go with - I tried a few test shots with another astro [a refractor, this time] and a small mast-mounted transformer about 1/4 mile away filled the frame - but trying to keep it steady was almost impossible - one of the things I prefer about the 6490 vs 7440, the self-timer has a button so reduces the amount of shake set up !

IDM
IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:44 PM   #7

I like the Idea Dave and am glad to see you joining the ZOOM comunity here! Look forward to many more zoomed in posts!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:05 PM   #8

Dave, keep us posted on your efforts. I have been thinking of purchasing a spotting scope, but can't find an adapter for the 6490.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:17 PM   #9

Good photo Dave - that reaches out there very good. I know I have a old spotting scope around here someplace but so far I can't find it.

Pablo
alandjo is offline   Reply With Quote