Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:25 PM   #1

I just picked up the v550 this week. After about 20 shots, it quit working with the lens extended. Thought the battery had died, but still thought the lens would retract in that case. Plugged it in, pushed the on button - all the lights flash rapidly several times and then they go out - lens does not retract. Tried it without the battery, charged the battery, took the battery out and reinserted it several times, etc etc - no change.

Any ideas?
peter*pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:24 PM   #2

Is the problem randomly occurring?

Or is it a definite problem i.e. everytime you turn on the DC?

Were you just too eager to try the DC w/o fully charging the battery first (14-hours)? It shouldn't be such small capacity to have taken 20 shots only.

Few more tests (if you haven't done so):

1. Use the external 5Vdc adapter instead of battery.
2. Unplug any power sources (battery & 5V). Hold the power-on button for 10sec.
3. Remove the SD card
etc.
99. Upgrade firmware to 1.0.6.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:49 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestions. The camera was actually fully charged. And I tried every variation possible with charger, w/wo battery, w/wo sd card, on docking station, etc. Just tried holding down power btn as you suggested for at least 10 seconds - lights all flash for ~6 secs and then go off.

Can I upgrade the firmware without the camera being on? Instructions on Kodak site indicate I have to turn the camera on to upgrade.

Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:58 PM   #4

So did you solve the problem by holding the button?
(The purpose was to reset any settings, and to really discharge any static voltages inside.)

For the firmware, in the contrary, you should MAKE SURE THE DC HAVE STABLE POWER DURING THE UPGRADE, preferably with both the 5V adapter and the battery inside.

Bcos, any interruption to the upgrade process may render you a trip to Kodak service station.

I used the "copy to SD" card (with an USB cardreader), and then right on inserting the SD card back to v550 and powering on the DC, you will be prompted to upgrade the firmware.

Good luck!

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:52 PM   #5

Looks like it has to be returned, unless someone is aware of a hard reset (button combo).

Can't do a firmware upgrade without the camera cycling on - and it won't do that. Copied the firmware file to the sd card, but when I power it up, it just shuts right back down. And can't copy the file to the internal memory without it being on.

Thanks for the suggestions.