Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 28, 2005, 4:18 AM   #1
mbg

After a lot of hunting around on which Point n Shoot cameraIwanted to buy,I have zoomed in on the V550.

Can any of you folks share your experiences/cautions/warningswith this camera.

Also can the camera be onlycharged via the dock and not directly with the 5 volt adapter.

Lastly, I plan to purchase this via prestigecamera.com since it looks to be the cheapest there. Any thoughts or warnings on this decision of mine will be really appreciated.

Regards, mbg
mbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:30 AM   #2

mbg, I can answer a few of you questions - My wife just bought the V550 and has let me set it up and "play" with it a bit.

So far it has been a nice camera - I took a few shots yesterday: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18

If you look through this forum you will find some others experiences, one I've noticed is that the camera tends to get warm after being on for a while, others have noted this also.

All in all it seems like a nice camera, has all the features and then some, the display is really nice.

And, yes, you can power it with the provided 5-volt AC adaptor as well as on the photo frame dock.

Hope this helps some.
Steve
syoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:45 AM   #3
Boz

Canthe batterybeCHARGED by just plugging the camerain, or does the camerahave to be in the dock to be charged? I am also considering this camera, but I don't like the idea of using a dock.
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:35 AM   #4

Boz wrote:
Quote:
Canthe batterybeCHARGED by just plugging the camerain, or does the camerahave to be in the dock to be charged? I am also considering this camera, but I don't like the idea of using a dock.
Yes.

There is a 5Vdc input socket on the side. You can either using internal battery or the 5Vdc, or both.

The dock is more for mechanical holding the camera upright, so a few people can view the large LCD together. There are actually some cursor buttons on the dock for viewing control!!!
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:48 PM   #5
mbg

Actually when I asked abt the adapter this is what I wanted clarification on.

Can the battery be charged via the 5v Adapter or does one need the Dock to charge the battery itself.

I also realised that there is a specific propietory battery for this camera and somehow I think this is tying too much to Kodak.
mbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 8:53 PM   #6

Hope this is not too late. You have to have the battery in the camera and the adapter attached to the camera to charge the battery. Else, you charge the battery by placing the camera with battery in it, in the dock. You can not charge the battery on its own as with, say, a Nikon.

I've read that the Kodak proprietary battery is rather inexpensive, $20 perhaps. I plan to buy one before the next big trip out of town. Although I use the camera daily, I don't take more than 20-30 pictures at a time, so no problem with battery life.
mmrudy is offline   Reply With Quote