Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:30 PM   #1

Hi,

I think i gonna order this DC tomorow but i'm still concerned about picture quality in all conditions. Is the quality picture so good as they talk in the reviews??

How about video quality in 640x480 30 fps? In some reviews they speak about an abusive compression causing grainy movies.

Is it a good buy??

Help me!!!
shinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:17 PM   #2

Hi shinchan. welcome to the forum. I have the DX6490 and the DX7590, and I am very happy with the quality. From what I've heard the 550 is a good camera. as far as the video quality goes, on my 6490/7590 it is so-so. By that I mean that it is good in a pinch, but I probably would not rely on it in place of a camcorder. On my cameras you get quite a bit of audio noise while you play back the video. I'm just fond of still pictures I guess.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:29 PM   #3

Steve and DCRP both have movies you can watch. The people who own them seem to like the movies fine, and like that you can use the optical zoom during movie recording. It seems to have a good lens and excellent LCD.

Steve doesn't have a standard scene he uses for movies. Maybe his dog running around would not have looked great with other MPEG4 cameras. Jeff uses a standard scene and liked the V550 movies fine. From comments of owners it seems it has a fairly strong anti-aliasing in the movies. That adds artifacts and softens the movies a little, but you don't get the wavy angled lines you occasionally get without it and don't get the rare moiré. My personal preference is to avoid strong processing like anti-aliasing and noise reduction, but some people prefer it.

If I were buying a 5Mp point and shoot for a family member it would probably be my first choice.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 5:04 AM   #4

Hi,

It was my first choice until i saw the casio Z500.

In the exilim site, you can see his features and they are very good:

500 shots with one charge instead 100 (v550), Bestshot modes like id foto and pre-shot i thinkwhich are great, 2.7" LCD but not so beautifull as the v550. Instead, Casio have a lcd glass protection an v550 don't.

For these and for other things, i'm very confuse.

What did you think?? I buy kodak v550 todayor i wait for the Z500 ??

thanks,

bruno

shinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 6:36 AM   #5

Bruno, My wife bought a V550 last weekend and is very happy with it. I've taken 20 or so pictures with it and have been pleased with the results. Not much of a video person so I cannot speak to that. I also happen to think that Kodak makes a great product and have been using them for years (as have most of the folks on this forum).
Good luck in your quest.
Steve
syoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 8:37 AM   #6

Casio LCDs haven't been too great for viewing in bright sunlight up to now. And there is no optical viewfinder on the Z500. If they use the same lens as on the S100 and S500 with the transparent ceramic element it isn't the greatest lens. Maybe they corrected those things – I would wait for some good reviews though. Of course there will be something else by then you will have to wait for.

The Z500 probably has the past movie mode, which is a great feature. The stabilization is digital and therefore not very good. The more useless scene modes there are the more you have to page through to find one you want. Other than occasionally using portrait mode, I find most of the scene modes useless compared to spot metering and EV adjustments in normal modes. I guess if you don't have manual controls the night modes are necessary.

The V550 has an optical viewfinder. If you turn the LCD off and use that for your shots the battery life is excellent. If you are a devotee of scene modes you need the LCD on most of the time though.

I didn't see anything about a glass cover for the LCD on the Z500. My Z750 doesn't have one.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote