Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:12 PM   #1

Ok...I am probably a dunce but here goes....

I stumbled across the Kodak Easyshare p850 today on the Kodak site in my preparations to commit murder on a Canon S2-IS. The p850 looks like the camera for me but I can't really find a lot out about it. I know....it just came out on the market and there isn't a lot of reviews yet.

I am a mommy of 2 extremely active kids who are 4 1/2 and 17mo. They are in a permanent state of wild. I am looking for a camera that has a BIG zoom and image stabilization. I have shakey hands and I need the image stabilization for the high zoom lens. I got the Canon S2 for the BIG zoom and image stabilization. Unfortunately, I got very very blurry/fuzzy pictures. Out of the 100 pictures I tried I got only 11 half way decent pictures....and some of those are slightly fuzzy. I sent the Canon back to where I got it...good ridance. One shouldn't be in tears from frustration when they have paid $500+for a camera. I have always had excellent luck with the Kodak Easyshare line. I had DX4330 and upgraded to a CX7530. I love the ease of use of the 7530 but I want a bigger zoom. Is the p850 a camera that is easy to use? I really don't care about all the manual controls and such that the p880 has so I am bypassing that one. I want to be able to turn on the camera and take a decent blur/fuzz free picture...even if its way across the room. As all of you with kids know if kids are doing something picture worthy they will stop the second you walk near them with a camera. I want to be able to be across the room and zoom in on them and snap a shot without them knowing I've done it til I have already done it.

Is the shot to shot time pretty quick?

I don't have to shoot in RAW correct? I can just shoot in simple JPEG. I don't need RAW just shooting pics of the kids. If I understand correctly it slows the camera down a LOT.

Does anyone have any real life experience with this camera yet? I was hoping for a preview from Steve but he hasn't had time yet. Can someone tell me bout the camera?

Thanks!

Sherry

tiggyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:46 AM   #2

Have you looked here for the press releasesand info?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ko...0-p850_pr.html

or here

http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f2/1-about654.html

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:06 AM   #3

I just picked mine up two days ago. I haven't rung it out yet, but it is the best digital camera that I'd owned. My minolta died during a cruise and I wanted something a bit more substantial with a much better zoom. The image stabilization was part of what made this the camera for me. Also that it uses the same SD cards that I already had.
jburdine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:13 PM   #4

Nice to know someone finally has one. When can we see some photo's?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 1:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the links!!!
Old Sep 10, 2005, 1:57 PM   #6

I can't wait to hear how the camera performs!
Old Sep 10, 2005, 7:30 PM   #7

The cam has everything I want except for one thing. So seeing it's missing that one thing, the IS has to work very well. So I'm kicking back waiting to hear how it works from real world users.

Tigg................that Z7590 is a nice cam....

sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 8:13 PM   #8

jburdine2000 wrote:
Quote:

I just picked mine up two days ago. I haven't rung it out yet, but it is the best digital camera that I'd owned. My minolta died during a cruise and I wanted something a bit more substantial with a much better zoom. The image stabilization was part of what made this the camera for me. Also that it uses the same SD cards that I already had.
I just picked the 850 up today. I've noticed two things that are quite a bit different than my 6490. First, the EVF and LCD flicker when I press the release button half way to focus. The light intensity changes 3 to 3 times, then finally locks on at a much darker intensity once the focus locks on. Second, the auto focus is measurably slower than my 6490. I'd say that it takes 1 to 1.5 seconds to lock on indoors under normal (daytime) lighting.

Have you noticed either of these issues with yours?
bubbawilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:17 AM   #9

Plan on ordering the P850 this weekend, after checking it outin person at Best Buy first. Seems to be a great digicam so far!
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:15 PM   #10

tiggyrn wrote:
Quote:
I want to be able to turn on the camera and take a decent blur/fuzz free picture...even if its way across the room.
Hi Sherry. Not to dissuade you from the Kodak. But, I'm a little concerned here. Having an S2 myself, I don't see how the Kodak is going to provide you better pictures than the S2, per se.

Themain factors in providing a blur free image are 1) less shake 2) higher ISO 3) faster lens and 4) more light

1) The S2's IS system is considered one of the best from what I hear

2) The Kodak has ISO 800, but I suspect you never tried changing ISO's yet...?

3) The S2 actually has a very slightly faster lens

4) Your lighting will be the same despite the camera you choose (unless you are considering flash)

I have noticed that I get blurry images indoors as well when I am zoomed in quite a bit and there is not enough light. That is because the auto mode increases exposure times. Combine that with the higher Fstop when zoomed in and the IS simply cannot keep up with a jittery hand.The camera often sets1 second exposures due to F3.5 at ISO50 indoors w/ bad lighting. I fear this might be the same situation with the Kodak.

I'm sure the Kodak is a great camera. And as I stated, I don't think you will be dissapointed. But, I would have said the same about the S2, which I love.

Have you looked into the Fuji S5200 (that comes out this month)? While the Kodak seems to have an ISO800 option, the Fuji goes 1 step further (ISO1600), but does not provide IS (which may not even be needed at high ISO's). Higher ISO's increase noise (which the Fuji seems to control pretty well), but at these levels, you are sure to get lower exposure times = blur free and helps stop your kids for less movement blur as well.

In the end, the best way to get better pictures with your UZ is to learn how to control the camera's settings to your liking. The more you know, the better your pictures will be. That said, I am no expert...just my opinion.

Hope all works out for you.

swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote