Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:15 PM   #21

Hi again

I've just posted FAVA's samples page, with one (at the moment...) full-size image. It's at:

http://perso.wanadoo.es/kodakpseries...es/850fava.htm

Hey Fava, look at it to see if you like that way. And thanks again!

I continue fighting with my server...

Un saludo!

Mato34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:01 PM   #22

Hi Everyone-

I conduct digital camera workshops on cruise ships. We are leaving on another contract tomorrow morning (09/21) so we have been packing this afternoon. I was hoping that my P-850 would be delivered today so I could take it on the cruise with us.And it did arrive just about 20 minutes ago.

I slipped the battery out of of my DX-7440 and put it into the P-850 to take this photo. It was handheld, was approximately 12 feet from my husband but I still had to use -0.7 flash reduction to get the proper exposure and histogram. So the flash it fairly powerful.

I was especially pleased with the colors and sharpness. I was surprised to find the P-850 delivered with the shapness set to hard, and that was thesharpness setting used for this photo.

All in all, I am pleased with the P-850, but I will have a much better chance to really learn the P-850 while on the trip. We will bring back many good samples for you from Alaske, Russia, Korea, and Japan.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 5:10 PM   #23

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
Hi Everyone-

I conduct digital camera workshops on cruise ships. We are leaving on another contract tomorrow morning (09/21) so we have been packing this afternoon. I was hoping that my P-850 would be delivered today so I could take it on the cruise with us.And it did arrive just about 20 minutes ago.

I slipped the battery out of of my DX-7440 and put it into the P-850 to take this photo. It was handheld, was approximately 12 feet from my husband but I still had to use -0.7 flash reduction to get the proper exposure and histogram. So the flash it fairly powerful.

I was especially pleased with the colors and sharpness. I was surprised to find the P-850 delivered with the shapness set to hard, and that was thesharpness setting used for this photo.

All in all, I am pleased with the P-850, but I will have a much better chance to really learn the P-850 while on the trip. We will bring back many good samples for you from Alaske, Russia, Korea, and Japan.

Sarah Joyce
Don't forget to try the hot spring spa in Japan! Enjoy your trip.
alvincyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 5:12 PM   #24

Btw, your husband looks surprised in the picture, I guess he's not ready for your quick shot.
:?

alvincyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:01 PM   #25

alvincyt-

You are very perseptive. He was surprised. I had just asked him to turn around and I took the photo. I was pleased with the photo, when you consider thatI had only just unpacked the P-850 and shoved a battery into it for that photo.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:08 PM   #26

speaklightly wrote:

Quote:
Sarah,

Have a great trip, and lots of fun with the P850 :-).
Can't wait to see the photos!

Best wishes,
fava
FAVA98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:13 PM   #27

Mato34 wrote:

Quote:
Hi again

I've just posted FAVA's samples page, with one (at the moment...) full-size image. It's at:

http://perso.wanadoo.es/kodakpseries...es/850fava.htm

Hey Fava, look at it to see if you like that way. And thanks again!

I continue fighting with my server...

Un saludo!

It looks great, thank you. I will send the rest of the photos in the next hour.

Best wishes,
fava

Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:18 PM   #28

Hi Everyone-

Many thanks for all of the Bon Voyage wishes. Yes, I will post an excellent selection of the P-850 photos on our return. I love the color reproduction of the camera and found it fairly easy to take in hand and use immediately.

One little mystery did surprise me however. The P-850 arrived in a properly sealed box ,but I found the sharpness in the hard position, the Exposure Compensation at EV +2.0, and the Flash Compensation at EV +1.0. That was very surprising to me.

If I had been a newbie, I might not have immediately recognized that this camera was not at all ready to take photos. The average newbie would have assumed that the P-850 was defective and returned the camera to the dealer after taking 2 or 3 photos. Then of course they would make a posting on a forum such as this saying how terrible the P-850 really is!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:38 PM   #29

speaklightly wrote:

Quote:
One little mystery did surprise me however. The P-850 arrived in a properly sealed box ,but I found the sharpness in the hard position, the Exposure Compensation at EV +2.0, and the Flash Compensation at EV +1.0. That was very surprising to me.

If I had been a newbie, I might not have immediately recognized that this camera was not at all ready to take photos. The average newbie would have assumed that the P-850 was defective and returned the camera to the dealer after taking 2 or 3 photos. Then of course they would make a posting on a forum such as this saying how terrible the P-850 really is!

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

Mine also had those values set for the exposure compensation and flash compensation, but the sharpness and the brightness were set to normal. There were some other settingsthat were different from the default values specified in the manual (e.g. the brightness of the LCD was set to 3, while the manual says the default is 2). From what I understand from the manual, the settings that you mentioned are only considered in the PASM + C modes. The Auto and Scene mode are not affected by these (I hope I'm right about this :-)). I guess a newbie would start with those modes - I did:-). When I first ventured in the P mode (after playing with the Auto and Scene modes), that was the first thing I noticed, so I changed the values to 0.0.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:46 PM   #30

Hi all here

Hey Sarah, I'd say that your husban was REALLY SHOT there! :lol: The colors look superb in almost all the photos I've seen from the P850, and this is another one in the basket.

Enjoy the trip and the camera. Also enjoy your husband

Hi Fava, I'm glad that you liked the page. Going to sleep now, I'll post the new photos tomorrow. I think I said somewhere that playing with your new camera you were going to learn quite fast, and so you wouldn't be a "newbie" any longer. I guess I was right...

BTW, at last it's available in Spain, but I'm going to wait to know more from the P880. having an ultrazoom yet (KM Z2) I really like the 24 mm wide angle and the mechanical zoom ring. But the P850 also likes me... :?:?:?

Best regards
Mato34 is offline   Reply With Quote