Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 19, 2005, 6:56 AM   #1

Hi!

I've got this camera for a few days now and I have a problem when shooting video and and say, panning the camera on a scenario. What happens is that the video is not smooth and seems that it is jumpy in these conditions (maybe skips a couple of frames??). If I'm shooting video and not moving the camera around, this is not noticeable.

Does anyone else have this problem?
joaopmsantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:40 AM   #2

Might be bcos your subjects were hard to be focused on, especially when you were moving your v550 around. So v550 just kept adjusting the focus, making the movie jumpy. E.g. when shooting thru a glass screen, it jumps between the glass surface and the real desired subjects which may be 1-km behind the screen.

Try turning off "continuous focusing" in video mode.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:34 AM   #3

Well, I can only notice this when I'm moving the camera around. If I don't pan the camera, this is barely noticeable. I've also tried using only the internal memory and the same happens, so I guess it's not the SD card (it's a Twinmos Ultra-X 1Gb).

Can anyone get me a sample video of their V550, shot while panning the camera around? The samples I've found are shot with a steady camera so I can't really tell anything from them...
Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:14 AM   #4

Pretty please...???
Old Sep 20, 2005, 5:11 AM   #5

Drop me a private message with your email address > 10GB, and I'll try to take one for you tonight. To be honest, I could not notice the problem you described.

Have you tried VLC player?

http://www.videolan.org

It plays QT mpeg-4 movies much more smooth than QT itself (a shame on Apple). At least it has solved the QT upper/lower-half screen chunking problem for fast-moving scenes.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:06 AM   #6

Hi,

I tried a few movie players and its the same.

The problem i have is that when i move the camera, 2 or 3 horizontal lines of the movie have interferences !! but if i turn OFF continuous focus the problem is still noticeable but its better.

I have tried movies taken buy 2 diferente v550 DC's and it happens in both.

Hey potato! Can you send me a movie to compare please ?

Bruno

shinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:21 AM   #7

Hi!

I'm going to try a faster SD card to see if it has anything to do with this, which I doubt. But since I have the chance, why not?

I'll drop you a PM with my email! Thanks!

Also, I've tried converting the videos to AVI and with media player the half/lower half chunky problem is also gone, but this one remains.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:37 AM   #8

Well the SD card I've tried show the same problem...

So it's not my SD card. I've also noticed that this only starts when I've been shooting video for about 10 seconds or so. The first 10 are perfectly ok... maybe it has something to do with when the camera starts to write the data and emptying the buffer...
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:13 PM   #9

Haha! That 10sec recalls something from my memory.

Not sure related to your problem or not.

At the very early stage of my usage of the v550, I tried to use my very old Sandisk 1x speed 256MB card. And then the v550 refused to record video at about 10sec, complaining the card was too slow. Shooting still pics no problem.

Then I switched to UltraII 1GB, and I have been taking movies up to longest 15 minutes no problems.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:45 PM   #10

Hi,

I noticed the same "problem" i have in my videos...sometimes, some horizontal lines moves like interferences.

Mayby its fault of my computer !!

I'm using a 1GB lifetech with 6MB/s!! That´s enougth or he's too slow for movies??

Thanks
shinchan is offline   Reply With Quote