Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:36 PM   #1

Hello everybody! Glad to see the forums work again :-)

Does anyone know what is the max size for a SD card that can be used with the P850? On Kodak's web site they list the 512 K as the max, while the P880 and other cams are listed with the 1 G. I was planning on buying an ATP 60X 1G card today (they have a good deal at MicroCenter). I sure hope the P850 is not limited to 512

Fava
FAVA98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:39 PM   #2
Administrator

I am pretty sure it will work with any size SD card, 1GB should be no problem.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:56 PM   #3

Thank you Steve. I will buy the 1G card then. Haven't heard too much about the ATP 60X cards and how they compare to other fast SD cards (like the SanDisk Ultra II). I want to test the burst and video modesof my new P850 this week-end and I thought of using a faster card.

Fava
Old Sep 23, 2005, 2:58 PM   #4

Hi fava

Several people is using cards of 1 or 2 GB in the P850 without problems. About the high-speed card someone told that he didn't notice any difference with a "normal" card. Perhaps would be a good idea take the camera with you to the store and test if the high-speed card is really faster (to avoid the higher price if doesn't go faster...).

I think that Kodak has some kind of policy to allow all of its cameras work with a normal card at full performance (this is: there isn't a performance/feature in the camera that NEEDS a high speed card). I read about it in this forum... or perhaps not.

May I ask some special shot for this week end? :G What about some room shots with ISO 200 and 400, to look the noise at some "natural" scenes for using higher ISOs. Also if you could take any image like that in RAW and process it with dcraw... (which seems to do better in giving a very fine grained pattern noise).

Un saludo!
Mato34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 3:27 PM   #5

Hi Mato,

I'll do some interior shots in RAW. I'll post some pictures saturday evening / sunday.

Best whishes,
Fava
Old Sep 24, 2005, 3:24 PM   #6

Heard that it supports up to 2GB.
alvincyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 5:09 PM   #7

FAVA98 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Steve. I will buy the 1G card then. Haven't heard too much about the ATP 60X cards and how they compare to other fast SD cards (like the SanDisk Ultra II). I want to test the burst and video modesof my new P850 this week-end and I thought of using a faster card.

Fava
I've got a ATP 66x 1GB SD card I've been using in my P850 without any issues. And I've heard that the new P-series Kodaks can use any size SD card.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 7:02 PM   #8

I ended up buying the ATP 1G SD card, which works just fine in my P850. I did noy notice any significant improvement in the saving time of a picture . But the copying time from the card to the computer is significantly smaller :-) (I have an internal multi-format card reader in my computer and I just remove the SD card from the camera and insert it in the card reader to transfer the files to my computer). This, coupled with the fact that the MicroCenter deal made this fast card less expensive than a regular 1G card leaves me still happy with the purchase I made. So it seems that using a faster card does not help the P850 to save pictures faster....

One intriguing thing about these ATP cards: I see that Rambler358 mentions that his card's speed is 66X. Mine is only 60X, and this is the speed specified by the producer on its current web site (http://flash.atpinc.com/products/vie...roduct_id=1011- they also have cards at 150X). The speed on my card was specified on a sticker, and when I peeled it off, the text under it was80X. I wonder what's the story here....

Mato, I apologize but I was not able to take those RAW pictures today. I'll try tomorrow.

Best whishes,
Fava