Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 25, 2005, 3:58 PM   #11

I dont think any existing prosumer will suit what you want, you have to go for dslr. Neither canon S2IS nor H1 of sony nor even Panny FZ30 will be able to freeze in night action photography. If your need is that then definitely any prosumer will not satify you.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:29 PM   #12

Atindra - You're comments are very insightful, thanks. I just want to make sure I have the best of the current crop of UZ digicams in the S2/H1/P850 price range. I've got another week to try out the P850 beforemy return/exchange period ends.

I also had a feeling that the Canon S2 and Sony H1 would provide similar picture challenges for the night and low-light action scenes. However, I wasn't sure with not actually having a chance to use those. Yours and other P850 user's comments are making me think that I really may have what I need. I also still have my old Minolta SRT-102 SLR (film) as a standby, although its been quite a while since I've pulled it out of my old camera bag. :G

Ron
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:50 AM   #13

Hi Ron,

Another suggestion: you can try changing WB settings, that will gainup overall exposure in the shots. The action shots you posted look dull little bit. But considering highzoom, handheld, low shutterspeeds the shots are really very good. I hope your next attempt would be better.

Atindra
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:57 AM   #14

Another option I could have tried was toincrease the ISO to maybe 400 or higher, and this would've allowed me to shoot at a faster shutter speed. It would mean more noise, but I think the pictures would've come out better than they did.And yes, the WB option is another possibility - thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:03 PM   #15

As far as I'm aware, the only camera that will (better) handle night action photos (and within the same price range)is the S5200 (out later this year...?).

I have an S2 and there is no way it will freeze the action in the photos you posted unless you completely underexpose them.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:33 PM   #16

Rambler358 wrote:
Quote:
Another option I could have tried was toincrease the ISO to maybe 400 or higher, and this would've allowed me to shoot at a faster shutter speed. It would mean more noise, but I think the pictures would've come out better than they did.And yes, the WB option is another possibility - thanks!
Yes Higher ISO should be first option to be tried. And I am interested to see, higher ISO action shots with this camera in low-light. If you find oppertuinity just try them.

Atindra
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:38 PM   #17

swgod98 wrote:
Quote:
As far as I'm aware, the only camera that will (better) handle night action photos (and within the same price range)is the S5200 (out later this year...?).

I have an S2 and there is no way it will freeze the action in the photos you posted unless you completely underexpose them.
Well, I've actually been considering the new Fujifilm Finepix S9000. It's just now becoming available, but it is about $200 more than the P850 - but no IS, smaller 1.8" LCD, a 10.7x zoom and a larger form factor. Still, I like the manual focus/zoom capability and the tilt/swivelLCD of the S9000. Other features attracting me tothe S9000 are the longer and faster shutter speeds, more ISO control, better macro mode and aperature range. The downside of the S9000 for me is the larger size and the lack of any IS. Decisions, decisions... :?
Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:15 PM   #18

Rambler358 wrote:
Quote:
Well, I've actually been considering the new Fujifilm Finepix S9000. It's just now becoming available, but it is about $200 more than the P850 - but no IS, smaller 1.8" LCD, a 10.7x zoom and a larger form factor. Still, I like the manual focus/zoom capability and the tilt/swivelLCD of the S9000. Other features attracting me tothe S9000 are the longer and faster shutter speeds, more ISO control, better macro mode and aperature range. The downside of the S9000 for me is the larger size and the lack of any IS. Decisions, decisions... :?
Well, I've decided to keep the P850 as it's starting to grow on me. That and the Fuji S9000 won't be available in the states until early October sometime according to what I hear. But I am liking the P850's compactness, IS, and nice zoom range.

I'm heading on a vacation to Jamaica starting Oct 10th for just over a week, and I plan on putting the P850 through its paces even more. I plan on getting the Kodak P20 flash, premium case and a spare battery. Might even get the lens adapter for some filters I already have. Hopefully I'll be able to bring back some nice pics - this will be my first time to Jamaica!

~Ron
Old Sep 28, 2005, 4:24 PM   #19

Hi Rambler,

Wish you great vacation. Eager to see some nice shots. I am landing in USA in Jan-2006 for 2 yrs.

Atindra
Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:47 PM   #20

Hi Atindra,

Thanks, it should be a nice time over there. Where are you currently, and where in the USA will you be staying?

~Ron