Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 24, 2005, 5:22 PM   #1

Some questions for you P850 owners. I'm seeing some very nice photos from this camera on the web. But I've noticed purple fringing and noise in several. How much of an issue is this and how easy is it to correct in the camera? Any idea how many elements in the Schneider Kreuznach VARIOGON lens? Also, how sensitive is the manual focus (do you turn a lot or a little to focus)? Does anyone know what kind of plastic the body is made of? High grade polycarbonate? Thanks!
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:46 AM   #2

Hi B1ue,

Acording to a post on the dcresource forum (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10919) the P850 lens have 11 elements in 9 groups with 3 aspherical surfaces. I don't know how accurate this info is.

In the pictures I took with the camera I did not notice any (easily observable) purple fringing.

Wrt. noise, it may become a problem at ISO 200 and up. According to some other posts in this forum, this camera seems to use the black frame technique to reduce noise: after each firing the LCD/EVF turns black for some time in order to collect the sensor noise with the same settings as for the picture just taken, and then it attempts to remove that noise from the picture before saving in. This black screen happens all the time, but is shorter in regular conditions (good light and fast shutter speed) than in low light, with slow shutter speed. From my (not so rigorous) tests, in normal conditions the black screen stays for less than a second. In the very extreme, for example, I took a picture at ISO 400 with a shutter speed of 1.6 sec. in very low light conditions - around 7 pm in a room with just a candle on - and the black screen lasted for 4+ seconds.

I tried the manual focus only once, and I had to press the joystick just a little bitto get to the proper focus.
FAVA98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:56 PM   #3

Thanks, Fava. What's your opinion of the build quality and the plastic body in particular?
Old Sep 25, 2005, 2:27 PM   #4

The P850 looks and feels pretty solid. I like the build quality - I'm not sure what kind of material they used to manufacture the body, but it looks like some plastic - metal alloy.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:24 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. One more thing, are the lens elements glass or plastic?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:42 AM   #6

B1ue wrote:

Quote:
I don't know about this, I'm sorry...

You might get an answer to this question on the dpreview Kodak forum (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1011) where 2 Kodak employees are quite active in reading and answering questions.

Best whishes,
Fava
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:39 AM   #7

B1ue wrote:
Quote:
The lens elements are glass.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote