Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 24, 2005, 7:44 PM   #1

Steve calls it a "great" camera and has it in his recommended list, but searching in these forums only turns up a few "should I buy..." without many responses.

Can someone share the strengths and weakness of this camera? I really like to hear people's first hand impressions of a product.

I can currently get the CX7430 with the Dock for $149 shipped which is good, and would be a good upgrade to my DX3700.

nixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:25 PM   #2

I wound up getting the Z730 + docking bundle for $253 shipped from Dell. Not a bad price considering the dock. I have a DX3700 and dock and with just the connection software (no bloatware) I just push the connect button and camera shows in My Computer as a drive. Plus, the camera stays charged.

I think the CX7430 would have been a good choice, but the Z730 had some pretty good user reviews, and I think it might fit my needs better. I'm not much into photography per se, but I love "eye candy" very much, and I may be getting a little more into the subject in the next year or so.

I'll post some pics when I get it.

Thanks!

Old Sep 25, 2005, 2:54 PM   #3

Hi nixus, and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your purchase!

I guess that those consideringthe CX7430 also looked at the CX7530, which has 5 MP and a little bit larger LCD than the 7430's. In my case, I bought the CX7530 last November because Circuit City had it on sale for a price that was smaller than the (regular) price of the 7430 :-).

Fava
FAVA98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:15 PM   #4

I didn't buy it because it was to small. I'm not one that believes small is better. I like to be able to locate and push buttons without pushing two at a time. I found the DX6340 to be a bit larger, and I liked that. I got the cam and dock pretty cheap as the DX6340 was at the end of it's run, and nearly out of production. From that I went on to get the DX7590. Now I find I like to use the DX6340 for indoor use and the DX7590 for most other.

I think you'll find the CX7340 to be a nice rig. I really like my 6340, and the specs of the 7430 show it to be aupgrade in some areas.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:12 AM   #5

I personally dont like the CX series... the battery doors especially!! If you have one be careful with it or you will break off the tabs. You can buy a replacement at www huroncamera com for about $10 though.
darntoothysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:09 AM   #6

That was one of the things I read about. Users generally really liked the camera but there were some complaints about "flimsy" construction.

I hope the Z730 works for me. My needs are somewhat minimal, but I know what I see and what I like when I see it. It seems to have some nice "auto" functionality which is good for amateurs like me, but I also wanted a little more close up ability than the cx7430 offered.

Buying a digital camera is sort of like researching printers. You find a bunch that seem cool but then individual weaknesses are brought out by reading many user reviewers and I wind up confused aobut which way to go. If I were rich I would buy in the $500-$800 dollar range but that's not possible now - maybe some day!

I should get the camera Tues or Wed. Can't wait to play with my new toy!