Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:35 PM   #1

Kodak V550. While in video mode, recorded audio sometimes degrades to static replacing the recorded audio completely. Problem is intermittent. Returned it to Kodak about a month ago. They replaced a circuit board and returned it. Upon retesting, problem still exists, albeit not as frequently as before. Anyone out there had this problem with the V550? Thanks:sad:
Giaruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:21 PM   #2

I haven't used "audio recording" on my v550 before. I think they are audio files named 100_NNNN.mov, right?

Do you mean by "replacing", that new files "overwrite" old audio files? Are they same file names? Or just the contents are being overwritten.

I may not be able to help at all, but I just want to clarify your question first. Or you may use "Edit" in this forum page, under your posting, to rewrite your question.

FYI all my movies recorded are so far so good, including the sound tracks. My longest movie recorded is 15 minutes.

BTW what your firmware version? 1.0 or 1.0.6?
(Menu > Setup > About)
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:55 PM   #3

Hi Big_Potato. Yes, the videos have file names like: 000_0082.mov. The Kodak V550 records sound with the video. The "audio portion of the file" is the audio you hear when you record a videoin the VIDEO MODE.Quite simply, during playback of a recorded video clip, the audio portion also contains static. The static gets progressively worse until the static pushes aside any discernible recorded audio (voice, music, etc.) in the same clip until all you hear is mushy static. I have been testing and retesting. Although this condition is intermittent, I notice it seems to be worse on the second, or so, test on a COLD camera. When the camera gets hot, it seems to subside. To keep out the question ofSD memorycard issues, all my testing has been done on the internal memory (built into the V550). So the design flaw/defect is in the camera, not SD card-related! I have only tested in the 640 X 480 resolution video mode. Not interested in the lower resolution (320 X 240) video at all! I suspect that this is a design flaw since I have already sent this camera in for repairs without its beingfixed. I would also guess that moreV550 owners have not complained since, as you, many do not use the videomode as much as I. Please let me know what you think. My firmware is 1.06. I had the defect before and after firmware update. No difference! If this is not clear yet, let me know.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 9:20 PM   #4

Sorry, don't quite understand what "static" means. (I am no musician or audio expert).

Does it mean "silence" or noise? Then sorry, I have no clues. I havn't experienced that b4, even after taking about 300min (10GB) of movies. Might be your DC or SD, or their combinations have problems.

But if you mean some "tick" sound noise, I did experience that before.

That was the auto-focusing motor's noise. For dark or hard-to-focus subjects, the motor just keeps moving and produces noise. Then I either improve the lighting, or turn "continuous focusing" off.

Suggestions:

1. Try to confirm if the players, or, the movie contents' problems: QT, EasyShare, or on the v550 LCD.

2. Try VLC player: http://www.videolan.org

3. Try recording a very loud source e.g. facing a TV.

Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:17 PM   #5

Ok, Big_Potato, here is the definition of static according to the AH Dictionary: "Random noise, such as crackling in a receiver . . . , produced by atmospheric disturbance of the signal." I know I don't have an atmospheric disturbance, Potato, but what I hear sounds like static or a frying noise. In my case I hear a crackling sound coming out of the speaker ofeither the camera or the computer when the video is played. This crackling (not ticking) sound gets progressively worse and LOUDER until it totally overpowers the original audio. All my tests were done taking loud video off the TV with the camera held still, using the internal memory, NOT EXTERNAL DC OR SD MEMORY! The problem is either in the video or in the camera. No other component or software is involved! I had another person mention the "continuous auto-focus" possibility. I will perform further testing with the auto-focus off, but to me, even if that is the problem (and I seriously doubt that it is), we are crutching a serious design problem; I am not going to let Kodak or anyone else get away with. Thanks for your response.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:01 AM   #6

I've been using my V550 for a month now, taking quite alot of movie as well, I don't have the static sound problem, my firmware ver. 1.0
BTW, what is the different with 1.06:?
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:37 AM   #7

Hi Armadillo Shield. It is good to hear that your V550 is functioning normally. That is encouraging to think that maybe the V550 doesn't have a fundamental design flaw. Mine is now back at Kodak in Rochester, NY, for the second time for the audio problem. Probably something as simple as the microphone. Other than this audio problem, I truly like the V550. I did a little write-up on CNet.com if you'd care to read it at: http://reviews.cnet.com/4864-6501_7-...mp;ctype=msgid

According to Kodak, Version 1.06 of the firmware does this:
  • General performance improvements. [/*]
  • Added support for additional languages. [/*]
Doesn't say much, does it.

Regards and thanks for responding.

Giaruso
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:07 AM   #8

My earlier thread discussed something about fw 1.0.6:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:50 AM   #9

Hi Giaruso & big potato,
Thanks for your info about the firmware. Will try to upgrade to latest one.
Also glad to know your camera audio fix at last:-D
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:47 PM   #10

I just noticed the microphone is on the top-left corner (looking at the front of the DC), just down the shutter button.

Could our fingers have blocked it when taking video to mute (effectively) the sound?

To be honest, DC's hand-grip design is not for prolonged holding in video mode.