Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:37 AM   #11

Interesting thread. What I have is not a spotting scope but a about 800mm mirror lens/telescope.

If you want to see some super tack sharp bird/digiscope picture go to bird forum (I think it is in England and there is a guy named Andy (do not remember last name) who now uses a zeiss scope with a Nikon Coolpix (older images were with a Kowa scope and also super sharp).

He has a website too. It's a long shot but try a search with digital bird photography by Andy

REgards and thanks

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 3:35 PM   #12

My Bushnell Spacemaster spotting scope has what I guess is a standard American eyepiece size, 1 1/4" in diameter.

For it, I made an adapter for my DX7630 (which also has 37mm threads on the Kodak auxiliary lens adapter), using a37mm filter w/glass removed, a section of 1 1/4" diameter sink tailpiece from Home Depot, epoxy,and 3 setscrews:

I've tried a few shots with the 15-45x Spacemaster scope, but have been too busy to pursue it much.

All the photos below are at 15x, focused on the camera's LCD as best I could. I'd need a concrete tripod to zoom in anyfurther with the Spacemaster.

One photo (the sign is about 1/2 mile away):

Here's the sign (circled in red)in a scope-less overall pic:

Another, complete with fringing on flagpole, house about same distance away (tilt courtesy of operator error):

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 4:12 PM   #13

Interesting solution but not the same as a 800mm Leits telyte lens.

BiLL:|

:idea:This may be of little interest to those of you on the other side of the pond but......

I ordered some 256 memory chips from surpluscomputers.com

Toshiba label 19.99 each no tax or frt. (they are new but did not come in those little boxes). At CVS drug stores I bought a plastic case for 4 sd chips on a key chain for $0.99 each. I keep one on my camera for blanks and one in my bag for full chips.

BiLL

Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:20 PM   #14

nOT SURE IF i SHOULD ADD TO THIS THREAD FROM TOP OR BOTTOM OR IF ALL OF YOU THAT PARTICIPATED WILL GET E-MAIL OF THIS ADDITION?

1/ I tried to post some photo test with/without 2x ext. but after the first a message said too large. How do I post a photo?

2/ When you use your tel. aux. lens for a long shot do you set kodak for infinity?

3/ What is the close up range with the 2xextener ? Do you use the close up button on camere (with flower icon) ?

4/ if I knew how to post photos I would be glad to post how I plan to make some interesting and easy to make beanbag camera rests dirt cheap.

Digital regards,

BiLL

Old Oct 7, 2005, 3:10 AM   #15

Hi Bill

1/ I host my images at Photobucket - free for up to 25Mbs worth [I've got over 500 in that space] - then just cut/paste the [IMG] address in my posts here - but others may have better solutions - I think the in-built hosting is what applies the size limit...

2/ Only if no areas of significant contrast - I try and remember to select "Accessory Lens AF" which, I believe, turns off the 'google-eyes' focussing system on the camera front and just relies on contrast-detection - if it seems to be hunting, or after review is out-of-focus, then I'll use the 'landscape' button.

3/ Kinda the same as 2/ - not sure of the minimum range - I can never understand, with Afocal converters, why minimum focussing should change but it does seem to [perhaps an optics expert can explain this] but I certainly use the Close-Up button when using the 6490+TCON [don't tend to use it so much with the 7440+2x]...

4/ see 1/ above, and look forward to the bean-bag solution...

IDM
IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 6:03 PM   #16

I use Kodak Gallery, Snap Fish and Dot photo

All will give you some free 4x6 prints for signing up and allow you to store albums also. All allow you to share your albums but Dot does it in such a way that you do not have to give others your e-mail address. All make great prints with Kodak being the best but it is best to fix them with your own edit program.

In my old pc I had a copy of my girl friends photo elements 2 and was just becoming used to it.

I want to buy a elements 3 or 4 but have no interest in the albums features. 4 looks like it may have a auto marquee or lasso feature.

I plan to send my with without kodak extender tests to dot but I do not have DSL. I live in Brooklyn, NY in a residential area (2 family houses and above ground phone lines). I asked Verizon why is it that people in swampy gator country have dsl and not me? She replied that the wires in my area were not copper. First time I have heard that one. My girl friend is a 15 minute drive away and she has dsl so I will upload them from there.

BiLL