Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:26 PM   #1

Hello!

I have a dx7440 and think it is a great camera! I purchased the Kodak aux. lens for it and used it with the correct tube and the pictures come out awful! I have tried apert. pref., shutter pref. and picking various fast shutter speeds and the results are very un-acceptable. I like the 4x optical zoom but miss the 10x optical zoom of my Olympus 2100uz which has gone into permanant retirement since I bought this Kodak. Any aux. lens users out there with a good suggestion on this aux. lens problem????

BiLL:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:59 PM   #2

Hi Bill. Welcome to the forum. It might help to figure it out, if you would post a couple of shots so we could see.

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:42 PM   #3

That's really too bad. I've got some 3rd party lenses (close up portrait) and they're awesome. I don't know why other than your lens is of poor quality.

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:16 AM   #4

Like Bob, I'd like to see some examples.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the prompt replies all!

I am sending this from work and will try to sendpictures from home.

I had been in contact with Kodak but was having trouble sending sample images. My e-mail max is 5mb.

While I have 6 ears and eyes pointed my way let my bounce another issue off you.

The adaptor ring for the Koda aqux. tel ends with a 37mm thread. I enjoy bird watching and have pair of Nikon binoc (not the top of the line) and a spotting scope .

Has anyone ever tried connecting their Kodak digital to one of these4 and using the lcd viewer?

Thanks,

BiLL

:|
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:22 PM   #6

Which Kodak lens did you buy? I had a DX7440 for over a year and used both the WA and Tele accessory lenses with no problem at all. The Tele will vigenette badly if the camera is not close to full optical zoom but that is normal. The WA shows some angular distortion when using at or near max WA which is to be expected.

I continue to use both accessory lenses on a Z730 which is about the same as the DZ7440 but with 5MP.

You might want to be sure that focusing is set to 'Accessory Lens' but I've found it doesn't make a lot of difference.
jdm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:49 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply jdm :-)

I have the kodak tele (came with 2 black adaptor rings , correct one and a smaller diameter one).

Did all that (no vignet) just image quality of a soda bottle.

Looking for old images, ifI can't find them I wills shoot some again over weekend.

BiLL

Old Oct 5, 2005, 4:42 AM   #8

Here are my own first test shots with the 7440 + Kodak x2 - was happy enough with it that now I carry the cam, W/A, Tele & CloseUps if I go walking - nice, light "do-anything" package...

132mm:

264mm:

I used the fence on the RHS and the number plate towards the bottom LH corner as criteria for softness etc - was quite pleased - ok, not as good as from a 10x, but it's the price you pay for convenience.

Have not tried the 7440 on a spotting scope, but here's a [cropped] result using an astronomical mirror scope:

Yes, there's fringing - the scopes not an expensive one, and there was a certain amount of 'light pollution' where I took it - the moon just about fills the uncropped image - still not got around to trying any more - the other [non-Kodak] add-on tele's I've tried on the 7440 [2.5x, 5x] all still vignette badly at max tele [not a big enough exit pupil, I'm assuming] - but maybe something like a 20x[+] spotting scope would work well...

Hope this helps.

IDM
IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 7:52 AM   #9

Thanks for your reply Ian.

Your with/without example is what I needed. I often set too high a expectation from my cameras. At first I thought I may have shot first images using the big lcd screen (very addictive but not the best viewing during a shot for stability). Have been unable to do a proper test (mother is in hospital and after work and during days off visiting hospital). Lot of Monarch Butterflies in area so I was going to try shooting from 10 feet, will also try some long shots.

Some time ago I was given a B/L mirror scope with 2 eye pieces and a right angle thing plus a tube to fasten a t-mount. If I lay my dx7440 on the camera tube it may work using the lcd to compose. How did you connect to your scope?

Must stop seeing the glass 1/2 empty!

Digital regards,

BiLL

Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:17 AM   #10

bill2468 wrote:
Quote:
Some time ago I was given a B/L mirror scope with 2 eye pieces and a right angle thing plus a tube to fasten a t-mount. If I lay my dx7440 on the camera tube it may work using the lcd to compose. How did you connect to your scope?
Details of the adapter I used are in this post:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18

IDM
IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote