Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:22 AM   #1

Hello.

Please bear with a newbie question.

Currently, I have a 3 megapixel Olympus. It has served me well, but I want to jump up to something with a bit more zoom and control.

I have looked at many of the Kodak models from the Z740 to the Z7590 and many of the wonderful photos posted here.

My question is...how important is I.S. when making my decision? I would like to save some money, and don't know much about this stuff, but I would like to get something I will be happy with. I see many pictures here that look very sharp and great, that say they're taken with a camera w/o I.S., but I don't know if a tripod was utilized or not.

Thanks for your help!

Kevin
kl4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:37 PM   #2

The longer the zoom, the more important IS will be. Of course, depending on the actual shooting conditions a tripod may still be necessary. Increasing shutter speed will help in preventing blur if you're able to do that. Raising the ISO will also help, but will likely induce more noise into the picture. IS is nice option to have, so definately look for it.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 5:42 PM   #3

With a really long zoom you'll get some shake without a tripod and no IS. I do not have IS on my camera but have developed techniques and some skill at shooting sans tripod as I do not always have it when needed. IS is certain to be on my next camera but until then I'll just have to keep truckin' with what I have. Would be nice but I just can't afford it yet.

Dawg at work
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 1:14 PM   #4

First off, I don't have IS. It would be nice to have, but I think if you're gonna zoom 10-12x and add a tele lens on top of that, I would still need a tripod with or without IS. I wouldn't buy a cam just because it had IS nor would I spend an extra $100 to get it ( I would probably go 30 or 40 though). IS will not replace a tripod.I know that good 10x pics can be taken without stabilization, you just need to spend some time practicing.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 1:51 PM   #5

Wait a little while Dan and you and I will be able to afford that 12X zoom and IS. The price should go down considerably in the next 12 mos. The other Bells and Whistles will be nice too. I don't think my pics will improve from it but the convenience of some of the new features will be nice to have. Heck I can take decent photos with a pinhole camera so the IS is not going to make that much of a dif. It'll just make it less difficult!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote