Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:58 PM   #11

Well, I think I will just try and buy one and see how it goes. Luckily I live near B&H photo as they are excellent on thier service and price
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 3:34 PM   #12

Check Sony's H1 also.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:00 PM   #13

I got the P850two weeks ago from BuyDig.com ($419) after comparing this camera with other 12x zoom cameras at BestBuy. It replaces the DX649, which I had for 2 years. I like it very much, and addition of the external flash Kodak P20 that allows me to bounce the light from the ceiling makes this camera almost equal in features to a digital SLR (this feature is not available in copeting cameras from Sony, Canon, Fuji, and Konica/Minolta). Of course, the manual focus on the P850 is no match to manual focus on the Pentax DS (the best digital SLR I ever handled).

Norman
Normanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:05 PM   #14

The P850 makes fantastic, noise-free photos at higher ISO settings. Possibly, noise subtraction is responsible for the "slow" response of this camera. Sony and Canon make very noisy photos above ISO 200.

I agree that the zoom motor is noisy. This so far is the only low point I see; however, colors, user-friendliness, and the ability to use the external flash sets this camera apart from the competition.

Norman
Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:33 PM   #15

Normanp wrote:
Quote:
The P850 makes fantastic, noise-free photos at higher ISO settings. Possibly, noise subtraction is responsible for the "slow" response of this camera. Sony and Canon make very noisy photos above ISO 200.

I agree that the zoom motor is noisy. This so far is the only low point I see; however, colors, user-friendliness, and the ability to use the external flash sets this camera apart from the competition.

Norman

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Hi Glad to know your opinion and experiences. Kindly post some photos for those who are making up their mind for that camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Atindra
Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:49 PM   #16

This is the first picture in the first series to demonstrate the ability to take great pictures at ISO400 with no flash, when taking pictures at ISO100 requires the use of the flash. Taken at ISO 100, internal flash, auto settings.
Attached Images

Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:50 PM   #17

This is the second picture in the first series to demonstrate the ability to take great pictures at ISO400 with no flash, when taking pictures at ISO100 requires the use of the flash. Taken at ISO 400, no flash was required.
Attached Images

Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:52 PM   #18

This is the first picture in the second series to demonstrate the ability to take great pictures with bouncing light from the ceiling with the Kodak P20 flash. This picture was taken with the internal flash while standing directly in the front of the painting.
Attached Images

Old Oct 6, 2005, 4:53 PM   #19

This is the second picture in the second series to demonstrate the ability to take great pictures with bouncing light from the ceiling with the Kodak P20 flash. This picture was taken with the the P20 flash set to 75 degrees bounce from the ceiling.
Attached Images

Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:18 PM   #20

What a comparison Norman!!!!, I just could see what I was looking for. Great ISO400 shot. Those are great shots- amongst the best in what I've seen sofar from P850.

How does noise look at full size? Did you print them also at higher ISOs?

Kindly if you find time post more shots in new threads.

Atindra