Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:26 AM   #1

Hello all,
First time on this forum and of course have a question for ya. I have had my 6490 for a few months now and am really satisified with it. Now it is time for me to add a few of the accessories that go with it. The adapter that allows you to attach the accessories screws on the the lens so the manuel says. I don't see any threads on the lens. Or maybe they are on the body behind the extendable lens. If so these old eyes can't see them. Anyone help?

Thanks,
Old Jim
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2005, 7:55 AM   #2

Jim,

I have the 6490. I purchased the adaptor and it screws into the base around the lens itself. With the adaptor you can add filters and the optional wide angle lens. Be aware that this setup messes with the light settings for indoor shots just a little bit, making your pics darker. I usually just take it off indoors. Outdoors, I like to add the filter and also feel that this protects the lens somewhat..

Terry
TerryV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:15 AM   #3

As Terry said it screws into the camera body around the lens. Not to the lens itself. A word of caution here take great care and a little time to cautiously screw the adapter in. It is VERY EASY to crossthread the adapter and ruin it or the interior threads in the camera. Learned this the hard way. Just glad it took out the adapter threads and not the ones on the camera. If it looks like it is going in crooked,,,, Stop and unthread it and try again!!!! It's not real hard to do it right but it is easy to do it wrong!!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 7:16 PM   #4

Thanks Terry and Dawg.
I have fretted about this for awhile now thinking I had a different model. You have put my fears aside. Thanks for the info on the indoor shots. Just a few changes in the settings will probably fix that. As far as the crossthreading the adaptor goes well lets just say, "Been there, Done that" LOL.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:43 PM   #5

I just made a online order today from dell For the kodak adpter. I found via kodak web site. They gives links to online stores other than there own. Kodak want 19.95 + 5/6 to ship. dell wants 16 + - , The after you sign up they only charge $1.10 to ship. They say it's a kodak adpter, But do not use Kodak oem in the add. I sure hope it's oem. I didn't check the other aptoins ( stores) I firured dell is the big boy and up front with online credit card buying. I hope
sandtowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:19 AM   #6

Dell should be okay. I get most of my stuff from here.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=RootPage.jsp&A=getpage&Q=RootPage.j sp

Dawg
Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:35 AM   #7

So you guys are saying it screws in between the silver part and the tube for the lens ? Can the adapter be left on the camera all the time, if so is the a cap that will fit that. I notice that when the lens is out it seems loose at the body. Making an easy place for dust and dirt to get in. This camera will see time at the sand dunes. Sand gets in EVERYthing
sandtowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:21 AM   #8

Yep most of us leave the adapters on all the time, as well as a uv filter. Protects the lens from little whacksand keeps most stuff outa there. You may get a cap with filters you buy, if not pick one up for a couple bucks

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dan
dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:00 PM   #9

Picked my cap up at Wolf photo for 2.99!

Dawg