Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:19 AM   #1

Last year on our 30th wedding anniversary, we purchased the Kodak 6490 and went on a small trip to Italy and Switzerland. I was very happy with our camera performance for the most part and took over 1500 pictures.
Now that day is rolling around again and when we were out shopping yesterday, we saw the Kodak P850. I see that the lense has gotten bigger and IS has been added. That alone got my attention.
Now my questions:

Does this camera use the same battery type as the 6490?

Is it possible to transfer my existing adaptor, filters and wide angle lens to the P850?

Does the P850 use the same memory cards?

Do you think this purchase would be a wise one, or is it a matter of new equipment fever? I had been eyeing the Canon S2 and when I saw that Kodak has come out with something similar, I said wow. It will even use my existing camera printer dock.

Terry

TerryV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:07 PM   #2

Battery: the same

Adaptor: You need a new lens adaptor, and all your 55mm lens screw right on.

SD CARDS: Yep it uses the same cards.

Dock: You need the new 3 series dock or the dock adaptor to use it on the series 6000 dock. If I remember right it's $9.95 on the KODAK site.

I just bought this cam friday from BestBuy for $424.99. I like everything about it except one thing. In the auto mode in bright sunlight the pictures are not as loaded with color as my 7590 is. Low light the camera is outstanding. Total darkness the cam is outstanding.I'm keeping this rig. I like it. I'm also keeping my DX7590.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:20 PM   #3

RJ try moving the EV down a notch or two when in bright sun or use a neutral density and a polorizer together!! Just a thought.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 7:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the response. You put me over the top and I made the online purchase for $414. I will keep you posted on my satisfaction..

Terry
Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:52 PM   #5

That's a very good price too Terry!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 9:11 PM   #6

Congrats Terry! I think you'll like the P850. You may also want to consider the Kodak P20 bounce flash for it as well. :|
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:05 AM   #7

Here Goe's the Ebay story. I would take a look anyway. I see the whole 7 1/2 yard deal there at $600/ shipping. It's new camera , lens x 2, bag, ect. I guess all kodak ( LOL ) it would be me luck that Kodak online, would have this at $ 589 free ship
sandtowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:37 AM   #8

Sw2, congrats! Good to hear about low light, I've seen some complaints about that but so much depends on the person behind the camera. Keep us informed .

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:20 PM   #9

Well, our new camera was delivered today. I purchased it from BuyDig for 414 dollars including shipping.

To start with, we already own a 6490. so, I was able to slap home a fully charged battery and 1 gig card. I took some quick shots with the camera, and noticed that unlike my other camera, the flash pops up if needed by itself. Please understand that you are not reading a note from a professional photographer here, so I notice these rudimentary things.
Then, I pulled out the camera dock insert, ready to install it on my printer dock plus. Surprise, it doesn't fit. Okay, no big deal, I ordered the adapter kit for 9.95 from Kodak. Then I decided to get the filter adaptor ring, thats another 20 bucks or so. As long as I was buying that, I got a filter for 24 dollars. My wife walked in and noticed what I was doing and said, "We need a new camera bag"... So... I bought the medium one on the kodak site for $20. Whew, lucky I already have a polarizer and wide angle lens.

Here is a small sample. As I am not familar with doing this, please bear with me.
Terry

Attached Images

Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:56 PM   #10

Wait a minute................I told you you needed the dock incert or the new dock. That should have not surprised you. Yep ya got to have the lens adapter. Now you need to pick up an Olympus TCON-1.7X teleconverter lens. So that means that med size bag from KODAK is now half the size you really need and a third of the size you should have bought. Why, because you'll need the room before you know it. LOL
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote