Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:23 PM   #1

Hi all ,
A couple of nights ago I thought I'd take out the telescope and try a moonshot and this was the result but when I was out there, I could hear some growling of sorts and didnt hang around so I went into the house and used a flashlight to see what was in the back yard...what did I see ? A cougar after a racoon but it was too dark to get a shot of this encounter and with having children in the house I wasnt about to put up with a cougar running around so I called the local game authority and he told me its rare that they come into town but they do and he told me to go to a ranch down the snake river that has Great Pyrenees dogs, so thats what I did and will have a pup in about 10 weeks, The rancher has 9 of those dogs there and has told me they will kill wolves ...coyotes and last year killed 2 cougars while defending the sheep and said they are a wonderful and loyal animal and also educated me that when he was in Montana and ranching, 4 of these dogs killed a grizzly while doing their job of defending the ranch.....WOW and this has been confirmed by neighbors and others who use these dogs to guard ranches etc...
Anyway heres the series of 3 shots I took

And here are some of the young Pyrenees coming to greet me at my truck as I approached the ranch.

And on the way back I caught this young bighorn making it's way down to feed as the big boys stay up higher on the rocks to watch over the younger ones and the females.

TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 3:43 PM   #2

Wow! Great captures Wag. And a great story . A good friend of mine has one of these dogs and he's a fine dog, great with kids, a stranger doesnt want to go near the kids if he's around. Weighs about 120! And except for being white, I always thought he looks a lot like a bear. Gotta warn you when this thing sheds you would swear it snowed in his front yard.I've heard stories of them chasing bear away( we have mainly black bears) but killing a grizz?!! Anyways good luck with him (or her) I'm sure you're gonna be happy. Don't forget to send us pics when you get the pup

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:36 PM   #3

Thanks Dan,
I'm well aware of the shedding of fur...lol... as I used to raise newfies :-) and yup it took 4 of these dogs to take out a grizzly if I'm right it was a young one about a year old but still, it does display the power of this dog
Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:18 PM   #4

Great shots Wag, the dog looks like a winner. Pablo
alandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:05 PM   #5

Really nice shots, Wag. Glad to hear the Cougar didn't get ya. I probably would have s**t myself if I'd seen one in my back yard, LOL. One piece of advice...when you get your puppy, stay on it's good side...you don't want to p**s off a dog that would take on a grizzly, LOL.

So I take it that you got all moved in?

Bob
Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:36 PM   #6

Wagaboo that dog pic is really cool. Are those dogs laid back or were they aggressive?

Mr Blue:shock:
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:45 AM   #7

Thanks all and Bob, yup all moved in but unpacking?...different story and 3rd washing of my drawers...lol and Mr Blue, these dogs are so mellow all they did was check me out to see if I was a threat and then the tail wagging started....
A lil breed information about this dog from a breeder of 30 years.
They are a mountain dog that tends to be very territorial...leary of strangers...Protective over things smaller than they are such as children, cats etc. They are very smart dogs that like to learn new things that are not stupid such as roll over...play dead etc and you better have a good fence as they are known for testing these confinements and the average weight is around 125 pounds but males are known to hit 180 pounds....all in all they are a great family pet and a helluva a guard dog in every sense of the word.