Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 14, 2005, 4:07 PM   #11

I am also a bit worried that EasyShare is Java-based. Theoretically, this approach is good for the developers who can easily adapt this software to Windows, MacOS, and Linux. However, using Java creates a huge package that takes a lot of disk space unnecessarily. In addition, Java software is always slower than native Windows applications. In the extreme, poorly written Java software by another big and generally excellent company (APC - they make UPS), crashed servers company wide when a security certificate expired, see:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archiv...5-08/0014.html

Kodak should afford to write good native Windows, MacOS, and Linux applications without using Java.
Normanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 5:00 PM   #12

To: Thierrylafronde

Yes, I checked and you are correct. On a clean install of Kodak's EasyShare 5.1, the location of albums defaults to shared folder; i.e., Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents/My Pictures/Kodak Pictures. Nevertheless, when a user who is not a member of the Administrators group (on Windows XP Pro with unchecked My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Use simple file sharing - a typical setting for a secure home or work PC) logs into their account, they are greeted by a silly message from EasyShare:

"Kodak EasyShare: You are running EasyShare software from a user account that does not have administrative privileges. As a result, you may not have access to some of the pictures on your computer and some of the features of the software may not be available. For more information please go to the EasyShare support web site at http://www.kodak.com/go/EasyShareSupport."

If the software was installed with default options and the updater was installed, non-Administrator will be pestered with a pop-up window with this tech speak:

"Data Already In Use: The data required by Kodak Software Updater is still engaged by user XXYY. Do you wish to proceed here, shutting down the other session?
Proceed here instead/Exit"

Moreover, all users of the computer will be forced by EasyShare to use the same login and password to the Kodak online site.

Finally, why do you use such strong language? Are you involved in the development of EasyShare?
Old Oct 15, 2005, 3:53 AM   #13

My biggest complaints with easyshare are:

It loses the albums when the directories are moved and there is no way except manually to recreate them or "reconnect" them.

You can't directly email your photos to family and friends. When you try to email your photos, they are sent to Ofoto instead.

Terry
TerryV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:18 PM   #14

One more problem:

When you install EasyShare, it will write a huge file named EasyShareInstall.log to the root directory of drive C:. On my computer, this file is over 5MB!!!!

In essence, this shows the (bad) quality of EasyShare software.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 1:54 PM   #15

I'am not sure what version I have as of today. It came from Kodak web page two weeks ago. I only use this to download so far so good It takes 37.72 MB. My Photo max 2.0 takes 84 MB and the P/m 2.4 is 81 MB. As far as taking up space check what your printer use's. MY hp psc 960 is 153 MB, HP psc 2110 54 MB. I have three other printers in here, They don't take much. There just printer. This is on xp pro and there,s win 98 se in this system
sandtowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:16 PM   #16

Cant say the bundled easyshare software is that useful, its ok for a beginner, as its fairly easy to use. Transfer of pics is easy, and the limited effects are ok, and easy to apply.

It looks like a mismash of various bought in components, including ones from www.solidfx.comand http://www.nsoftware.comand probably more, but only had a quick look (right clicking on a file and selecting properties then advanced lets you see copyright info, original file names etc)

After working for a multi-national software company in the past, I learned the hard way that big companies are not good at producing "good" software. The rot sets in, the existing people want a easy life, any new person with talent is "encouraged" not produce anything useful as it "embarasses" the existing staff..... Most software is just bought in, or third party consultants are hired, who usually are clueless.

One consultant didnt even know how to do any binary operations in C, and he was paid ridiculous sums of money as a top professional programmer.........

Would like to see more options for editing in the software, even a zoom/resize would be nice when looking at the photos. There is a third party add on for easy share at the solidfx site which allows a slideshow type screensaver, if anyone is interested.

There are plenty of good packages available for free on the market, so we are not limited to kodaks offering, but considering how long kodak has been around, it would be nice if they bundled some more software with the camera, but that could push the price up, and I like them cheaper!

I had kodak easyshare on my pc for about 3 days, then the power went off, all other software was fine, but kodak easy share had to be "fixed" via its re-install feature (to its credit, it fixed itself ok) as most of the dll's were corrupted.... Something that happens only once in a blue moon for me, in fact its the only time it has happened in a couple of years of me using this particular pc!

Had no problems with it checking for updates, but I did do advanced install, which most people would not do, so could see that being a problem. Kodak should have a page on their site showing useful downloads for free software that newbies who can download.

kensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:23 PM   #17

You make a lot of very good points! Somewhere a Pointy-Haired Boss went gaga over the EasyShare software junk he was paying millions to develop while not having the foggiest idea on how to use it and what is it for.