Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 12, 2005, 6:24 PM   #1

On Windows XP Pro, I seethese problems:

1. If you install the updater, it will be recognized as spyware, because Kodak uses the infamous BackWeb.

2. Setup will fail miserably whenyou do an upgrade of an old version. The only way to fix this problem is to usethe Kodak utility to clear settings.

3. The Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software folder is used to store settings - a NO NO for even beginning Windows programmers since 1995.

4. When a user who is not an administrator uses this software, a message is displayed each time the user logs in about limitations of EasyShare (bad publicity!)

5. When users try to share folders, strange things happen. Seems that Kodak developers never heard of built-in "Shared Documents" folders on Windows XP.

6. Default installation of EasyShare printers fails, because of wrong security settings. These need to be fixed by hand or the printer will not be usable.

7. No way to read EXIF information.

8. No way to print date from EXIF on locally made prints.

Why such an excellent company cannot make a decent software package even with release 5.1.0.0?

Norman
Normanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2005, 1:39 AM   #2

I just put easy share In my computers (3) which are xp pro sp/2 for the 1st time . I don't see any problems. Maybe I just don't know I'am having some ????. I did not take down my fire wall before install
sandtowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 5:56 AM   #3

Normanp wrote:
Quote:
Why such an excellent company cannot make a decent software package even with release 5.1.0.0?
Ever since my fantastically good 1994 LaserJet printer came with very bad drivers from H-P I've wondered the same thing.

Some answers:

The developers hired by Big Companies tend not to be leading edge types, since these companies generally can offer safety, securityand size, not excitement and innovation. However, traditionally, the latter has attracted the best developers.

Big company IT outlooks are extremely conservative, so that Windows (and therefore Windows expertise) has found very slow acceptance on the corporate level... sometimes for good reasons.

In graphics, digital photo included, there's still a good argument for Apple. Kodak's video mode is QuickTime, suggesting that its graphics development staff think that Apple is the way to go. Few people can master both Apple & Msoft OSes.

Hardware companies may have difficulty understanding the parameters and specifications of consumer software. Further, they may not "get" certain market behaviors, and can't tell the difference between a faddish whim and a good idea. They may also just not see why a given mode of operation irritates people who are used to better, easier ways.

The combined ignorance of Windows, Microsoft conventions, and software market expectations makes manyBig Companies pretty bad in hiring consultants and third-party developers. They can't tell much about what they're getting, and it often shows.

(Just one example: setting up camerasoftware so that it looks forupgrades day in and day out, hour by hour -- behaving, that is, just like spyware -- seems "the right thing" to them... when users might want to upgrade manually... since so many "upgrades" break things... or if they want automation, they likely want to see if there is a new version once a month or once a quarter for non-critical programs, not every hour of the day.)

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 6:25 AM   #4

Just try any free anti-spyware software (SpyBot or Microsoft's trial) and you will see the issue with BackWeb.

If you are the only user of your computer and you are an administrator, you will probably not see some of the problems listed in my posting.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 7:16 AM   #5

I just bought a new Kodak Z740. Upgraded from my 6 yr DC-210. This was the first time for me with the easyshare software. I have Windows ME and I had problems. It slowed my computer way down and made it started freezing up. I have enought memory and fast enough CPU. I am more within the limits of what they said, but it still messed things up here. I'm not using the software now. I would rather just use my card reader and the old version of Photoshop I have.
woodsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:30 AM   #6

By the way, user reviews of EasyShare, e.g., on CNnet, are devastating:

http://www.download.com/Kodak-EasySh...tml?tag=tab_ur

Sadly, Kodak seems not to pay any attention to problems reported by users.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 7:03 PM   #7

KODAK EasyShare 1.2.1 is outstanding. All the rest of the 3 I've tryed are demented.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 7:03 PM   #8

KODAK EasyShare 1.2.1 is outstanding. All the rest of the 3 I've tryed are demented.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 7:39 AM   #9

Quote:
When users try to share folders, strange things happen. Seems that Kodak developers never heard of built-in "Shared Documents" folders on Windows XP.
That is precisely the default location on XP for ESS 5.1 so get your facts right before you post your rubbish.
Thierrylafronde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 2:19 PM   #10

I've gotten rid of easyshare and so have many users here. The dock will still work if you install only the camera connection software and forget the rest. I agree with sw2, if you can get hold of an early version it was better.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote