Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 15, 2005, 6:04 PM   #11

These are great shots, I agree some of the best I've seen so far from the p850.

Thanks for sharing and keep posting

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 7:42 PM   #12

FAVA98 wrote:
Quote:
Atindra wrote:

So I installed EasyShare 5.1 to see how good the RAW files look with Kodak's software, and they are amazing! So I use Easyshare just to convert the files to TIFF, and the conversion is pretty good, although I sometimesget PF in the TIFF file that was not there in the RAW one. In most of the cases I only have to do some darkening and increase the midtone contrast inElements to make it lookquite similar to the RAW one.

So if you convert the RAW files to TIFF using EasyShare 5.1, why not just take the pictures in TIFF?

I installed EasyShare 5.1 couple days ago to see what RAW has to offer. For some reason, the RAW files looked very jaggy. I wish Google's Picasa supported Kodak RAW.

By the way, what is the benefit of saving the files in TIFF in P850 vs JPEG?
okayfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 7:52 PM   #13

dan279 wrote:
Quote:
These are great shots, I agree some of the best I've seen so far from the p850.

Thanks for sharing and keep posting

Dan

Thank you Dan. I'll do my best :-).

Fava

P.S. I really like the Blues Brothers movies - both of them.
FAVA98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 8:31 PM   #14

okayfine wrote:
Quote:
So if you convert the RAW files to TIFF using EasyShare 5.1, why not just take the pictures in TIFF?
Well, there are a few things that you can do very easily with a RAW file but not that easy with a TIFF or JPEG one (or at least I don't know how to do them). For example, you can play with the White Balance - in the beginning I used the Auto WB and the pictures did not come out as good as I hoped - so I changed the WB to Daylight in EasyShare and the picture improved significantly (and it took just a click on a button). Another time I took some indoor pictures and I forgot to set the WB to Tungsten. I fixed that immediately in EasyShare. I have no ideea if I could do that in Photoshop Elements, and how easy it would be to do it. In general, from what I've read about RAW files, you can apply many of the settings from the camera directly on the RAW file, so you can test different settings after you took the picture. EashyShare 5.1 has a limited number of features wrt. RAW file processing (for example you cannot change the WB to Open Shade), but I hope they will add more features in the future versions.

Quote:
I installed EasyShare 5.1 couple days ago to see what RAW has to offer. For some reason, the RAW files looked very jaggy. I wish Google's Picasa supported Kodak RAW.
Sorry to hear that. I don't know what could have possibly happened. When I preview the RAW files in full screen (1280x1024), my best photos look like the ones in National Geographic - they are very sharp and the colors look amazing. When I start the editor with one of them, they look like they lost some resolution. I don't know why, but I am not that bothered since I usually save them as TIFF immediately, the editor closes automatically and I move forward...

My wish is for Adobe to add support for the P850 in their software, so I could use Photoshop Elements to play with the RAW files directly. Or for EasyShare to improve significantly their RAW editor :lol:.

Quote:
By the way, what is the benefit of saving the files in TIFF in P850 vs JPEG?
The compression in TIFF islossless, while in JPEG you lose some info every time you save the file. So you lose some info in the camera (which converts the photo to JPEG), and then if you do some post processing and save again, you lose some more info. In many cases you don't lose that much in a save or two. Some people prefer to use TIFF over JPEG to avoid losing anything :lol:.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:01 PM   #15

Great shots Fava, and I learned some about RAW, I'd heard of it but didn't knowthe advantages of using it.

Pablo
alandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:05 PM   #16

OK, here are the photos without PP.
All were taken in RAW, and converted to TIFF using EasyShare 5.1, no PP.
TIFF loaded in PE 4.0, resizedto 800x600 at 300 ppi and saved as JPEG.
Even with the light PP done on the first posted pictures, the RAW still looks better.

A camera is as good as the best picture taken with it. I still have a lot to learn :-)

Picture 1 -no camera filter:
Attached Images

Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:06 PM   #17

Picture 2 - P850 lens adapter + Kodak B&W Neutral Filter:
Attached Images

Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:07 PM   #18

Picture 3 - P850 lens adapter + Kodak B&W Neutral Filter:
Attached Images

Old Oct 16, 2005, 2:15 AM   #19

I am a total camera ameture and was wondering if someone could explain what RAW, Jpeg, jpg, and tiff mean and what the difference is between them? Those pictures from the zoo are beautiful.

Thank you for your help!!

Crystal
crys81684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 5:27 AM   #20

crys81684 wrote:
Quote:
I am a total camera ameture and was wondering if someone could explain what RAW, Jpeg, jpg, and tiff mean and what the difference is between them? Those pictures from the zoo are beautiful.

Thank you for your help!!

Crystal
This are the different file format of output file from your camera. In general the most common one is JPEG or *.jpg, the other is *.TIFF format which is lossless format means when you do some post processing -tweaking you dont lose any detail on images. The third and most powerful is RAW, it is direct data from the sensor of the camera and not processed in camera's processor, you can postprocess with really powerful tools and softwares later the way you wish.

ATindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote