Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:29 PM   #21

alandjo wrote:
Quote:
Great shots Fava, and I learned some about RAW, I'd heard of it but didn't knowthe advantages of using it.

Pablo
Thank you Pablo!
All I know about RAW I learned in the last month or so from the web :-).

Fava
FAVA98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:33 PM   #22

crys81684 wrote:
Quote:
I am a total camera ameture and was wondering if someone could explain what RAW, Jpeg, jpg, and tiff mean and what the difference is between them? Those pictures from the zoo are beautiful.

Thank you for your help!!

Crystal
Thank you Crystal!
About RAW vs TIFF vs JPEG, please read Atindra's post and mine, above.
I also started with JPEG and now I'm experimenting with RAW (and soon with TIFF) to see what are the actual differences between them.

Fava
Old Oct 16, 2005, 1:19 PM   #23

Hi,

Whatever I wrote regarding RAW, TIFF, JPG is very basic layman's idea. The best source is Pro-forums and sites like Luminiouslandscapes, dpreview, this site, dcresource etc.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 1:38 PM   #24

FAVA98 wrote:
Quote:
The compression in TIFF islossless, while in JPEG you lose some info every time you save the file. So you lose some info in the camera (which converts the photo to JPEG), and then if you do some post processing and save again, you lose some more info. In many cases you don't lose that much in a save or two. Some people prefer to use TIFF over JPEG to avoid losing anything :lol:.
So let me see if I got this right.

If I save it in TIFF in P850, the color depth will be 8 bit just like JPEG.

But if I save it in RAW, then convert it to TIFF using EasyShare, the resulting TIFF file will have 12 bit color depth. Did I get this right?
okayfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 3:00 PM   #25

okayfine wrote:
Quote:
So let me see if I got this right.

If I save it in TIFF in P850, the color depth will be 8 bit just like JPEG.

But if I save it in RAW, then convert it to TIFF using EasyShare, the resulting TIFF file will have 12 bit color depth. Did I get this right?
No, unfortunately when saving a RAW file as TIFF with EasyShare you end up with an 8 bit TIFF (shows as 24 bit depth on my Windows XP computer). I could not find any setting in EasyShare related to the TIFF conversion. If you use dcraw to convert the RAW file to the Adobe PSD format, you end up with a 16 bit file, which as a result is much darker (go to http://usuarios.lycos.es/kodakpserie.../850dcraww.htmfor a short tutorial on how to use dcraw). However, I recently downloaded a version of dcraw that was newer than the one posted on the site mentioned above and after conversion almost all the colors were gone(and the newbie I am was not able to restore them in Photoshop Elements). That's when I switched to EasyShare....
Old Oct 16, 2005, 5:06 PM   #26

Atindra wrote:
Quote:
This are the different file format of output file from your camera. In general the most common one is JPEG or *.jpg, the other is *.TIFF format which is lossless format means when you do some post processing -tweaking you dont lose any detail on images. The third and most powerful is RAW, it is direct data from the sensor of the camera and not processed in camera's processor, you can postprocess with really powerful tools and softwares later the way you wish.

ATindra

Thank you very much for your help. This is my first digital camera and I take a lot of pictures but so far I haven't taken it off the auto setting. Can I change the way the pictures are saved in the camera? I know they are automatically saved as jpg but I would like them to save as RAW. Sorrymy questions are probably very elementary.

Thanks again for your help!

Crystal
crys81684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 5:07 PM   #27

FAVA98 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Crystal!
About RAW vs TIFF vs JPEG, please read Atindra's post and mine, above.
I also started with JPEG and now I'm experimenting with RAW (and soon with TIFF) to see what are the actual differences between them.

Fava

Thank you Fava. Everything has been very helpful. How long have you been usinga digital camera? This is my first one.

Thanks again

Crystal
crys81684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 5:29 PM   #28

crys81684 wrote:
Quote:
How long have you been usinga digital camera? This is my first one.
I got my first one - a Kodak CX7530 - about one year ago. I only shot ~ 500 pictures with it - didn't have too much time and interest, just pictures of friends and so on. About 2 months ago it caught up with me - probably because of some professional photos I saw in a fewmagazines :-)- and I started reading posts and tutorials on digital photography on the net, trying to get better results. It soon became clear to me that I needed more features and manual control than I got from that camera. I ended up buying the P850. It is a steep learning curve, but I'm having a lot of fun and that's one of the most important things forme.

Wrt. to your question about setting your camera to save pictures in RAW, it depends on what camera you have. Mostdigital cameras can only save in JPEG. Check your camera's manual to see what are the options. RAW is generally available only in more advanced cameras.

Fava
Old Oct 17, 2005, 2:17 AM   #29

Hi Crystal,

The saving format has to be chosen before shooting a shot. P850 is the only camera in Kodak line which has RAW (except dslrs of kodak). In some cameras,You can have preferrence over compression in jpg saving format. There are generally three options

1. Standard

2. fine

3. high

Fine compression is lowest compression and should give better images with larger file size. As compression goes higher, it leads to compression artifacts and loss of details in images.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 2:47 AM   #30

Nice pics FAVA98.

Mr Blue
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote