Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 15, 2005, 3:51 PM   #1

Crop + resize + some PP (levels & sharpening).
Attached Images

FAVA98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2005, 3:52 PM   #2

Resize +minorPP (levels & sharpening).
Attached Images

Old Oct 15, 2005, 3:57 PM   #3

Resize + some PP (levels).
Attached Images

Old Oct 15, 2005, 4:07 PM   #4

Hi

I am speechless. these are absolutely stunning shots with P850. They among the best taken and poste with this camera yet on various forums. Please do come and post sometime at dpreviewforum, I had a thread running about user opinions on this camera.

I got mostly positive feedback but couple of people were facing some troubles.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 4:07 PM   #5

This one (a Mexican wolf) is for you Big Dawg :-)

Full zoom with ISO 400 and handheld - this is the best I could do with PE4 (levels, contrast, sharpening and noise reduction). I should have taken the tripod with me....

Correction ---------------

Oooups! BIG MISTAKE. I just checked again and it turns out this had ISO 200 and NOT 400. I apologize.....
Fava

Attached Images

Old Oct 15, 2005, 4:21 PM   #6

FAVA98 wrote:
Quote:
Full zoom with ISO 400 and handheld - this is the best I could do with PE4 (levels, contrast, sharpening and noise reduction). I should have taken the tripod with me....
No no, this shot has just showed higher ISO capability of the camera too. If you get such results who needs tripod.

Do you always use RAW?

Atindra

Old Oct 15, 2005, 4:25 PM   #7

Atindra wrote:
Quote:
I am speechless. these are absolutely stunning shots with P850. They among the best taken and poste with this camera yet on various forums. Please do come and post sometime at dpreviewforum, I had a thread running about user opinions on this camera.

I got mostly positive feedback but couple of people were facing some troubles.

Atindra
Thanks for the kind words. I do read most of the posts on the dpreview Kodak forum. I learned some useful things from some of those threads - like "stay away from the Auto WB" :-)- (I used Open Shade), "don't use Multi Zonefor theauto focus when photographing one subject" (I used Center Zone). I use the manual mode 99% of the times because I want to learn more about photography. As for posting on that forum, I'm not so sure - some people there are really intimidating for a newbie like me. So far I'm having a great time (and lots of fun) with the P850. I shot all the above pictures in RAW, converted them to TIFF with EasyShare 5.1 and then resized & PP-ed as neccessary with Photoshop Elements 4. For the last 3I used the B&W Neutral Filter from Kodak.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 4:44 PM   #8

Atindra wrote:
Quote:
Do you always use RAW?
I used only RAW in the last 2 sessions (the ones from the Botanic Garden and these from the Zoo). I did some reasonably good conversions to the Adobe format with the version of dcraw that Mato posted on his site, but due to the jump from 12 bits to 16 bits they come up darker (among other things), and I do not master Photoshop Elements that well to make them look good. However, when I updated to the last version of dcraw I did notget almost any colors in the converted file - don't know what happed.

So I installed EasyShare 5.1 to see how good the RAW files look with Kodak's software, and they are amazing! So I use Easyshare just to convert the files to TIFF, and the conversion is pretty good, although I sometimesget PF in the TIFF file that was not there in the RAW one. In most of the cases I only have to do some darkening and increase the midtone contrast inElements to make it lookquite similar to the RAW one.

It's not that I think one must shoot only in RAW - I'm currently experimenting with this format and I'm really impressed with the results. At some point I will probably do some comparisons between the 3 different formats.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 4:57 PM   #9

Good to know about your experiences. When I'll buy (hopefully in Jan2006) this camera, I'll have to keep these things in mind.

Do you have the address for your gallery where I can see all the images taken by you sofar?

Atindra
Old Oct 15, 2005, 5:00 PM   #10

Atindra wrote:
Quote:
Do you have the address for your gallery where I can see all the images taken by you sofar?
I don't have yet a gallery . All the pictures that I posted are on this forum. Just look for the threads I started....

Also, please note that I corrected my post with the wolf - the ISO was 200, NOT 400.