Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:19 AM   #1

I don't know whether it is practical to try something like this or not. The people that asked are a hard working middle aged couple that are interested in digital photography and I would hope they can enjoy photography as much as a lot of us have, but don't know what to suggest to them. Your input will be appreciated.

Pablo
alandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:23 AM   #2

The only thing I can say Pablo is that it would double the fun for them as you know unless they want to get a dock for the digicam thats prints the photos and the other alternative is buying a used pc that can save alot of money as well or get one new at walmart for about 600 dollars.....:-)
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:49 AM   #3

wagaboo wrote:
Quote:
The only thing I can say Pablo is that it would double the fun for them as you know unless they want to get a dock for the digicam thats prints the photos and the other alternative is buying a used pc that can save alot of money as well or get one new at walmart for about 600 dollars.....:-)
Thanks Wag, they did mention they heard about a dock but I don't know if it just prints or if you can enhance some with it. Pablo
Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:56 AM   #4

For the money here what I come up with. ofcousre camera, Then I see here in oregon at Staples they the HP 2610 at $ 199, that's a psc or all in one with four card slots. I think they take about seven different type of cards. The printer docks are not all that cheap, then your stuck only printing 4X6. There's a lot of used computer out there around 100 to 150 bucks. Check Salvation armys, ect. Afew days ago I pick up a HP psc 950. which has three slots price $ 6.95 it works great. I always buy HP because the print heads are in the cartridge. Where an Epsomn print heads are in the printer. when they clog it's a big problem
sandtowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 4:39 AM   #5

Many photographic stores will take the memory card from your camera, and treat it just like the film from a film camera (but give it back afterwards). They'll make photographic prints from your images, just as they did from your film. Where I live, this service is now cheaper per print than it ever was with film (because there's no film processing to be done; just print processing). It's a good idea to have several memory cards, therefore.

This method has the advantage that photographic prints generally have a much longer lifetime than home-made inkjet prints.

In case your friends ever get a computer, and so that they can get more prints or enlargements made later, they should ALSO ask for a CD with all the image files on as well the prints. This adds a bit to the cost, but they'll then have a long-term copy of the original images (equivalent to the negatives of old).

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 5:44 AM   #6

Hi

my father, after 40+yrs in the electronics industry, steadfastly refuses to get a PC!

He currently uses a DX6490, CX6230 & Sony T1 - all can be hooked up to a nice big screen TV to play slideshows for his friends. For occasional printing he has the Kodak Printer Dock 6000 [granted, he can't print the T1 pics - I have to do that] and that charges the two Kodaks as well. For long-term storage he has an ezPnP Digimagic DM220 24xCD burner with MemoryCard adapter for the SDs & Memory Sticks - the CD's can then be put into a DVD player for playback of the images on the same TV.

He rarely feels the need for PostProcessing - having shot 35mm transparency for so many years, he's used to composing his shots on-camera - and if he ever wants to get a big print, or send a full-size image to someone for further editing or cropping, he's got all the original files.

He's more than happy with his PC-Less setup....

IDM
IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 5:09 PM   #7

Tryy Walgreens or Wal-Mart for the processing. You can choose the ones you want to print and they can do some enhancement also.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 5:16 PM   #8

Pablo if you use a Kodak selfservice printer at walmart, etc..you can do enhancement yourself on the machine(limited amount but usually enough) print them or put them on cd .

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:27 PM   #9

Like Dan said!!!!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:58 PM   #10

Thanks everyone, I passed on the information you sent. The people interested (and me also) are going over it and gaining a lot from it.What I noticed was that what you sent had wandered through my head at one time or another but it was only available in a lump sum by getting all your input. Thanks again. - Pablo