Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 21, 2005, 5:29 PM   #1

I was wondering if anyone has tried this lense out:
KODAK RETINAR 37 mm Telephoto Lens And, if so, how did it work out? I want some real-person reviews before even thinking about blowing $60 on it (money is tight when you're in college *eyeroll*). But I only have 3x zoom on my dx7630, so the 6x would be killer. Anyway, let me know if you have any opinions about it.

-Will

Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:47 PM   #2

Also, how about Kenko lenses? I can't find many reviews about the Kenko company, but what I've seen is they're good. I found a deal that has a wideangle and a 2x telephoto for the same price as the Kodak brand. Which... would be more useful if Kodaks are good.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:03 PM   #3

Hello Will

I have the aux. lens for my dx6444 which has 4x optical. Love the camera but not the aux lens. Maybe my expectations are too high. I have tried it with the infinity lcked in with the close up and I am not happy with it.

I have a olympus 2100uz with 10x optical and I like telephoto over wide angle and was expecting more than I see with the Kodak 2x aux.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 3:43 AM   #4

Hi

I posted a couple of comparison shots with the Retinar on my 7440 in one of Bills earlier posts here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18

I think the quality may be a bit 'variable' on the lenses as several people have mentioned poor results on this & other forums - if you can get one from a local shop with a returns policy, then that may be worth a try - or even just take the cam along to try out, but you will need the adapter [or make sure the shop has one].

Also, think I remember poss probs on the 7630 with the lens hitting the back of accessories sometimes - hopefully someone else can clarify that...

IDM
IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:10 AM   #5

IanMiddy wrote:
Quote:
Also, think I remember poss probs on the 7630 with the lens hitting the back of accessories sometimes - hopefully someone else can clarify that...

IDM

Will -

On the 7630, definitely go with what you can test on the camera before buying. The adapter length is right on the edge. Mine works fine with the Retinar wide angle, but not with a conventional 37mm dia. filter (the lens extends slightly beyond the adapter on power-up... when it bumps into anything, power-on becomes instant power-off.)

If yours is one of the DC7630s that extend a tiny bit more, you'll have the same problem with any aux. lens, Kodak or not. The instant shut-down is a great safeguard for the camera, but is a pain in this situation.

The solution (under warranty): return the camera and lose its use for a few weeks (No longer on warranty): turn the camera on before mounting the lens (mounting the adapter beforehand is OK). The last gets old...

Before buying the Retinar, I trieda Raynox wide angle. The Raynox site (http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/egindex.htm)

has many pictures taken with its aux lenses on a variety of mostly Japanese cameras.

While photos on other cameraswith this same aux. lensworked well, the Raynox did not get along with the DX7630 Schneider lens -- edges were soft and there was pronouned fringing. A Raynox source candidly told me that some primary lenses just don't work with Raynox lenses.

The Retinar (even though cheaper) turned out to be fine, in fact excellent, though I have to dial out the barrel distortion with post-processing.

BTW, photos available online with Kenko -- as opposed to Kodak -- aux. lenses did not impress me. I thought I'd bookmarked the pages with pix and user reviews, but I didn't and can't find them right now.

Most non-Kodak aux. lenses (including the ebay High Definition, Opteka, etc., and even many of the Raynox) are originally made for video cams, where the poor resolution of the video covers upproblems with the lens. They tend to go out of focus on the edges, add a great deal of chromatic aberration (fringing), cause vignetting, etc.

For tele, many people sing the praises of the Olympus TCON. You'll have to buy adapter rings (at least one, maybe two) to go from the Kodak adapter's 37mm to the dia. of the TCON.

Later: here's a user source with comparison shots of various aux. lenses: http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/index.html

They're under the "user guides" - go to them and you'll see links to tele aux. lens tests, usually under "other stuffs."

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:10 AM   #6

DGehman wrote:
Quote:
For tele, many people sing the praises of the Olympus TCON. You'll have to buy adapter rings (at least one, maybe two) to go from the Kodak adapter's 37mm to the dia. of the TCON.
To give an idea of what the TCON's like on the smaller cams - here it is on my 7440 [mounted using a 37-52 & 52-55 step-ring combi]:

Also, I've found that with the higher mag converters it's sometimes not possible to [optically] zoom enough to get rid of vignetting [I get this with my Tokina 2.5x & Aico 5x on the 7440] - but this problem doesn't seem to occur when digiscoping...

IDM

IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:26 AM   #7

That same lens on a DX7590

sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:29 AM   #8

And on a P850

sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 4:17 PM   #9

looks better on the 850. But really pretty is as pretty does. If it works use it!!

Dawg at work
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 5:46 PM   #10

I should just save up all this money and buy a P850... lol. But since that's not going to happen for a while, maybe I'll just suffer with my 3x optical on camera.

-Will