Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Oct 22, 2005, 2:01 PM   #1

Here is a very interesting direct comparison. Here are two photos taken directly out of the Kodak P-850 and the Fuji S-5200 with no post processing of any kind. The photos were taken within less than a minute of each other. In an attempt to match Kodak Color, I placed the Fuji S-5200 into the "Normal Lighting" mode. That Fuji mode is designed to enhance colors under natural lighting conditions.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2005, 2:41 PM   #2

Interesting comparison Sarah.
What type of WB did you set on the P850? I got better results (i.e. warmer colors) when I used something other than the Auto WB (Open Shade, Daylight and so on, depending on the actual conditions). Was the color mode set to normal on the P850?

Fava
FAVA98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 4:47 PM   #3

Fava-

The WB was set to normal and the color to normal. I was suprised at the results. However, it shows that Fuji is letting no grass grow under their feet.

By the way here is another photo sample of the Fuji S-5200 set in the Natural Light mode. The colors again look just like Kodak Colors. Its interesting isn't it?

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:20 PM   #4

Maybe it's just me but I like the Kodak's colors better. The Fuji seems to have somewhat of a "blueish" cast to the photo. Of course, it's hard to tell without actually seeing what the actual conditions were really like.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:20 PM   #5

Thank you Sarah Joyce, the comparison is very informative and interesting.

Pablo
alandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:48 PM   #6

Rambler358 wrote:
Quote:
Maybe it's just me but I like the Kodak's colors better. The Fuji seems to have somewhat of a "blueish" cast to the photo. Of course, it's hard to tell without actually seeing what the actual conditions were really like.
I agree, the colors of the bushes across the the bottom of the first pictures look slightly too blue to me. Perhaps it's just my eyes (or my computer).
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:54 PM   #7

Now please take a second look at this photo sample. This time we have move in much closer and we are dealing primarily with skintones (mine to be exact) as the comparative color pallette. Now things changeconsiderably. The red additive of the Fuji Natural Light mode seems to appear a bit excessive, in my personal opinion. Kodak takes over and creates a better (again in my opinion) rendition.

I know this is very subjective, and even varies somwhat from one computer monitor to another computer monitor. However, I am seeking your personal opinion. Which do you like better? Is it the Kodak P-850 or the Fuji S-5200? They are both pretty darned close.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:07 PM   #8

If nothing else, the Kodak is much more flattering. The colors are truer. Did you use a flash for this photo, because the Fuji picture seems a little washed out around your face. Yay for Kodak?!
Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:41 PM   #9

I agree, Kodak wins. The colors of the Kodak P850 are more vivid and probably also more natural than that of the Fuji S5200.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:51 PM   #10

You see, I have the same opinion. Why not, its my face. But in all honesty, the Kodak image looks better to me. The Fuji perople of course see it differently. Isn't that to be expected? Oh well back to creating more photo examples.

Sarah Joyce